News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Requesting help - Incoming CNAM, Google Voice, Obi as primary landline...

Started by TheoGeek, January 16, 2012, 01:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheoGeek

So, after scouring these forums, I'm still a bit confused.  I am totally new to this kind of thing, and I've seen references to how other people have set this up, but I'm not sure if it will work in my situation.  I'd like to get Caller ID Name to display on my phones, but I know that Google Voice does not support this.  Here is my setup:

1.  I ported my landline to Google Voice via the "GoPhone Method"
2.  I have the Obi configured to use GV as my primary service
3.  I have a Callcentric account set up for 911 only (and have the Obi device set to use that for 911 calls)
4.  I have the Obi connected to my home phone system, so calls to my landline number ring via the Obi.

I have seen references to using IPKall, Sipsorcery, etc. but I don't really know what I'm doing.  :)

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get CNAM to display on my phones.  If there is some kind of tutorial or something out there, that would be awesome, or if one of you guys has done that already, a little guidance would be helpful.

Thanks!
Jeff.

RonR

Since you've already ported your phone number to Google Voice and assuming you don't want to port it to another service provider that supports CNAM, your options are limited.  The only solution I see is to get an incoming DID from someone like Callcentric who supports CNAM and have your Google Voice number forwarded there.  That DID would be forwarded to your OBi where you'd receive the call along with CNAM.

Rick

Quote from: TheoGeek on January 16, 2012, 01:04:45 PM
So, after scouring these forums, I'm still a bit confused.  I am totally new to this kind of thing, and I've seen references to how other people have set this up, but I'm not sure if it will work in my situation.  I'd like to get Caller ID Name to display on my phones, but I know that Google Voice does not support this.  Here is my setup:

1.  I ported my landline to Google Voice via the "GoPhone Method"
2.  I have the Obi configured to use GV as my primary service
3.  I have a Callcentric account set up for 911 only (and have the Obi device set to use that for 911 calls)
4.  I have the Obi connected to my home phone system, so calls to my landline number ring via the Obi.

I have seen references to using IPKall, Sipsorcery, etc. but I don't really know what I'm doing.  :)

I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get CNAM to display on my phones.  If there is some kind of tutorial or something out there, that would be awesome, or if one of you guys has done that already, a little guidance would be helpful.

Thanks!
Jeff.

Add names and numbers to housephone's built in directory.  GV supplies number which then displays name.  Unknown callers show number only, then add to directory for next time they call.

TheoGeek

Thanks for the ideas.  Adding names to the phonebook is tedious and we are already starting to do that, but it doesn't help for things like telemarketers.

Ron - you are correct.  I don't really want to port my number again, especially since Google Voice is free.  :)

Is there a service like CallCentric that charges yearly (or is free) instead of by call?  If I get an incoming number from CallCentric, how do minutes work?  Would say a 60 minute phone call from my mother in law be charged by CallCentirc as a 60 minute phone call?  What about something like calleridservice.com?  That's pretty cheap, but I wouldn't know where to start to set that up.

Sorry for all the questions - total noob here.

RonR

Quote from: TheoGeek on January 16, 2012, 09:20:02 PM
If I get an incoming number from CallCentric, how do minutes work?  Would say a 60 minute phone call from my mother in law be charged by CallCentirc as a 60 minute phone call?

Callcentric DID's

It looks like $0.015 per minute plus $1.95 per month or unlimited minutes plus $5.95 per month.

CNAM lookup is something service providers have to pay for and figures into the price of a DID.

What about something like calleridservice.com?  That's pretty cheap, but I wouldn't know where to start to set that up.

I don't see any way to make this work with the OBi + Google Voice.  It would require support in the firmware to do the lookups through calleridservice.com.

TheoGeek

Thanks for all the info.  That's ind of what I figured after doing a bunch more reading.

I found this thread which you responded to:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1770.msg11454#msg11454

That sounds exactly like I need to set my system up, I may give that a shot and see what happens.  The nice thing about all of this is that if it doesn't work, it hasn't cost me much of anything except time.  :)

One more thing to try to squeeze every last dime out of this setup - do you know of a way to forward the incoming callcentric call back to GV to reduce minutes usage?  :)

Thanks again for all your help.
Jeff.

Everton

Thanks for the ideas.  Adding names to the phonebook is tedious and we are already starting to do that, but it doesn't help for things like telemarketers.

One of the nice features of using GV is that it has a very good call blocking feature or the ability to send callers directly to voice mail without the calls ringing the phone attached to the OBi.  I setup a contact in GV with all the Telemarketers numbers that have call my number over time.  All calls to this "contact" is automatically blocked.  You should also put your number on the do not call list.  The net result is very few, if any, telemarketing calls.  All unknown calls are routed to another GV number with the message directed the caller that calls from unknown callers or callers who blocked their number will not be accepted.