News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi100 ok w/ 100ft house wiring?

Started by joeforum, January 18, 2012, 02:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeforum

Does driving house wiring cause any damage to the Obi100 vs. driving just a short phone cord to a cordless phone base, or does it not make a difference?  I presently have the Obi in the first floor plugged into the house wiring at a nearby phone jack.  The house is wired for 2 phone lines (floors 1 and 2); at the NIC I just disconnected both from the phone company side and then plugged both RJ11 jacks into an inline coupler, very simple.  So now the wiring goes 50 feet out to the NIC, through that coupler, back inside 50 feet to 3 unused jacks and the one jack in the kitchen where I have a cordless phone/answering machine.  (Yes, I could just put the cordless phone downstairs next to the Obi, but I like being able to listen-in to the caller's message on the answering machine broadcast in the kitchen, without having to find the cordless handset and push a button.)

So, is it OK for the Obi100 to drive this much wiring, or is it better to put the cordless phone/answering machine base downstairs next to the Obi and just keep the handset upstairs, and give up the convenience of having the answering machine in the kitchen. 

(I'm aware of other solutions - DDWRT to send the signal upstairs, or even just dropping a new ethernet cable or phone cord through the wall/floor - but those are not worth the trouble for me.)

Thanks.

RonR

As long as the wiring you're using to connect your telephones to the OBi PHONE Port is no longer connected to the phone company or anything else, the length shouldn't matter.  A long run certainly won't cause any damage to the OBi.