News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Initial setup, caller ID

Started by RodA, January 28, 2012, 02:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RodA

So I recently just setup my OBi110 device and configured to use my Google voice account.  I previously had Vonage and Skype, and was not happy with the service and fees.  I have an AT&T landline, used for backup in case I lose Internet and for the home alarm system.  It's connected to the Obi, but my landline plan is a measured rate with no features like caller ID, Voicemail, etc.. 

Rather than paying AT&T for caller ID, what is the best choice to get caller ID on my home phone when getting incoming calls?  I was thinking of getting a Pay Per Minute account with Callcentric, about $2/month to get a phone number for inbound calls, then have my Google voice configured to ring this number.  Will this work? Or does anyone have any other ideas.

So far, love the Obi;  much better than Skype's Freetalk ConnectMe adapter, which has very limited features and poor call quality.

MurrayB

Be sure that you have your security system properly connected.

If your security system was properly installed the incoming POTS line should go to an RJ-31X jack that connects to your security system and your phone jacks. The RJ-31X jack allows the security system to hang up any phones that are off hook and seize the line so an alarm can be transmitted to the monitoring station. Remove the connection to your phone jacks that go to the RJ-31X and replace that connection to the Line output of the Obi 110. The wires that you removed from the RJ-31X that connect to your phone jacks goes to the Phone connection on the Obi 110. This will maintain the integrity of your security system and all your phone jacks will be connected to the Obi. Be careful not to reverse the Line and the Phone connections or you will probably fry the Obi.

Good luck with your Obi, great system!

RodA

Yes, my alarm system was setup on it's own phone jack that was installed by the alarm company.  My pots line that goes to the OBI is on an existing phone jack that was installed in my house prior to the alarm being installed.  The POTs line does not have caller ID on it, so I was wondering how I could get my Google voice, which is set to ring this POTs line, to pass the caller ID information to the Obi?   AT&T charges about $10/month, where as Concentric is only $2/month for pay per minute service.  Is Concentric the best route to take to get caller ID;  I would have GV set to ring the Concentric number.

Thanks,

RonR

Quote from: Rick on January 29, 2012, 08:26:33 AM
As you'll find in many posts on this forum, GV passes only the phone number, not the callerid information.  Therefore, whether you have it ring your phone or ring your Callcentric number, you won't get callerid information, just the phone number of the calling party.  

CallerID Name is a service that occurs with the last provider looking up the name from the CallerID Number.  Consequently, even though Google Voice doesn't doesn't provide Name, having Google Voice forward the number to a provider such as Callcentric who does provide Name lookup service would accomplsih the desired result.

Rick

Quote from: RonR on January 29, 2012, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: Rick on January 29, 2012, 08:26:33 AM
As you'll find in many posts on this forum, GV passes only the phone number, not the callerid information.  Therefore, whether you have it ring your phone or ring your Callcentric number, you won't get callerid information, just the phone number of the calling party. 

CallerID Name is as a service that occurs with the last provider looking up the name from the CallerID Number.  Consequently, even though Google Voice doesn't doesn't provide Name, having Google Voice forward the number to a provider such as Callcentric who does provide Name lookup service would accomplsih the desired result.

I stand corrected, and will modify my post.   :D