News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Echo Test Question

Started by dhfobi, February 01, 2012, 01:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhfobi

When I use echotest, it works except that it does not appear to be full duplex which I have selected with option 27 for the Obi port. If I talk slowly it echos after each word, but if I talk continuously the echos I receive are cutoff or not heard at all unles I speak slowly leaving enough time between words to hear the echo. Is this normal? as I was expecting that with full duplex up and down streams I would hear continuously.
Any comment or explanation would be appreciated.

RonR

The Ethernet half/full duplex setting would not cause the echo test to be half or full duplex.  The echo test should be full-duplex under all conditions.

Any chance it's your telephone set causing the symptoms you described?  Try a different telephone (preferably a plain/corded model) and see if anything changes.

dhfobi

Quote from: RonR on February 01, 2012, 01:18:17 PM
The Ethernet half/full duplex setting would not cause the echo test to be half or full duplex.  The echo test should be full-duplex under all conditions.

Any chance it's your telephone set causing the symptoms you described?  Try a different telephone (preferably a plain/corded model) and see if anything changes.

This gets even stranger,...... my home phones are 5.8Ghz Panasonic cordless and have worked flawlessly for years on my Vonage service, but now to the weirdness, I have a couple of corded phones and I tried it on one, and as soon as I key the * key to start the **9-222-222-222 echo test, I get a busy signal and can not proceed. I tried this with 2 different corded phones and yet I can dial out with them as long as I'm dialing just numbers.
What could possibly be going on?!?

Stewart

The echo test problem is probably the result of "echo suppression" in the OBi (and other ATAs).  Try calling 1-909-390-0003 (there is no prompt; just start talking when it connects).  If this also shows the trouble, you may be able to improve doubletalk performance by reducing ChannelTxGain or ChannelRxGain for the PHONE port (if you can spare some outbound / inbound volume).

IP phones generally don't have this issue (with an IP phone, you can still use the OBi as a Google Voice gateway).

dhfobi

Quote from: Stewart on February 01, 2012, 05:42:32 PM
The echo test problem is probably the result of "echo suppression" in the OBi (and other ATAs).  Try calling 1-909-390-0003 (there is no prompt; just start talking when it connects).  If this also shows the trouble, you may be able to improve doubletalk performance by reducing ChannelTxGain or ChannelRxGain for the PHONE port (if you can spare some outbound / inbound volume).

IP phones generally don't have this issue (with an IP phone, you can still use the OBi as a Google Voice gateway).
I just tried the 1-909... number with my corded phone and the echos are many per syllable, slowly fading away, and after multiple words it is slowly reduced to zero, no echos, nothing, nada. I assume this is the adaptation of the echo suppression so I think your diagnosis is correct.

That makes a lot of sense, and I do certainly have Rx gain to spare as everyone is VERY loud. Not sure about Tx gain, but it's probably too hot as well. I'll try reducing both maybe 3db and see if that helps.
Thanks for the direction.