News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Incoming caller ID to satellite receiver

Started by rosenqui, February 01, 2012, 07:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosenqui

I have an OBi110 and recently ported my POTS number to a voip.ms account. The POTS line used to feed into an alarm panel jack, then a bridge that feeds 6 Bell Canada satellite receivers (made by Echostar) and an Avaya Partner ACS phone system. The port of the POTS number completed today, so I changed the wiring so that the OBi's PHONE port feeds into the overall system where the POTS line used to.

Everything is working nicely... except:

• I had to set both of the Tip-Ring Voltage Polarity settings to "reverse" to make the alarm panel happy. That probably has to do with the panel jack more than OBi.
  • My satellite receivers won't show incoming caller ID

Incoming caller ID from the OBi is working - the Avaya phone system shows the caller name & number, but the satellite receivers don't. They worked fine with the POTS line.

The phone line connection at the satellite receivers hasn't changed and it passes the receiver's diagnostic tests, so it's not the physical connections to the sat receivers. Plugging the OBi PHONE port directly into one of the receivers gives the same behavior (passes diagnostic, but no CID), so that leads me to believe that it has something to do with the nature of the OBi's caller ID signal - my Avaya likes it, Bell/Echostar doesn't.

The sat receivers have a REN of 0, so it shouldn't be a ringing voltage issue. I tried bumping the RingVoltage setting up to 80 but it made no difference. The rest of the caller ID settings are at their North American defaults (FSK, after-first-ring).

Any suggestions for settings I can try that might get it working?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Stewart

You may be (perhaps unintentionally) using a non-standard ring cadence that is confusing the receivers.  Try connecting a standard single-line phone to the OBi and confirm that an incoming call rings two seconds on and four seconds off.

Setting RingFrequency to 25 or RingWaveform to Trapezoidal might help.

Otherwise, if you have a spare station port on the Partner, configure it to ring on incoming calls, confirm with a single-line phone that caller ID shows up, then try connecting a satellite receiver there.

Even simpler (except perhaps for the physical wiring), try connecting a satellite receiver to the auxiliary jack on the bottom of one of the system phones.

rosenqui

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check the ringing pattern, but it should be at the OBi defaults.

The Partner doesn't pass caller ID to non-system (i.e. analog) phones, which I why I have to hook the sat receivers into the bridge in parallel with the feed into the Partner.

I have an old Nortel touch-tone analog phone - built like a tank from the phone rental days.  I'll hook it up to the OBi to check the ring cadence.

rosenqui

Good call... it was the ring cadence. I have SP1 configured to use Google Voice, but it only gets used for outgoing calls. The POTS line I ported is on SP2 using SIP to voip.ms. SP2 uses ring profile "B" by default to give it a different ring pattern from SP1.

Once I switched SP2 to ring profile "A" the satellite receivers started showing the caller ID!

The ring cadence from the OBi doesn't matter to me at all; my Avaya system does its own thing for ringing its system phones regardless of the ring pattern coming into it. I had no idea the OBi was using a different cadence until I plugged in an old analog phone.

Thanks for the suggestion Stewart!

Eric