News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

DaylightSavingTimeStart & DaylightSavingTimeEnd OBiTALK portal bug

Started by Huib, February 03, 2012, 03:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huib

Just a warning to those of you with OBi's in different time zones and want an accurate time: don't change the DaylightSavingTimeStart & DaylightSavingTimeEnd settings in the OBiTALK portal.

After experimenting for three days and one of my OBis refusing to sync with the portal I found that if I change those 2 values to the appropriate settings for the Netherlands (3/-1/7/2 and 10/-1/7/3) the portal will no longer push any settings to your OBi. My 2 other OBis don't need custom settings so I didn't notice it at first. But after I found this for the 1 OBi I tried it on another OBi and sure enough: change those 2 values and the sync is dead.

What I didn't look into is whether is these particular values that make the portal useless or if it's any value that's not the default.

---

Update: support stuck with it and I was told that the strings above are invalid. They're good for a Sipura (clone) but not OBi. Also, when setting a different time zone the daylight savings fields are updated. It doesn't show in the portal but it does show on the OBi itself. The last thing we're still discussing is that I my view their DaylightSavingTimeStart value is wrong. I'll update this when we reach a verdict.

Another issue to keep in mind is that you can enter values in the portal that are not validated and worse can break the sync between the OBi and the portal.

---

More update: I checked the OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf file and it does say that negative values are allowed for the "day" parameter. I'll enter it on the OBi itself and see what happens. I'm sorely disappointed in the portal not delivering to its promise.

Daylight Saving Time Start Date. Format: month/day/weekday/hh:mm::ss, where month=1-12, day=±(1-31), weekday=0,1-7 (0=special, 1=Monday, 7=Sunday), hh=0-23,mm=0-59,ss=0-59.

RonR

Quote from: Huib on February 03, 2012, 03:13:26 PM
More update: I checked the OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf file and it does say that negative values are allowed for the "day" parameter. I'll enter it on the OBi itself and see what happens. I'm sorely disappointed in the portal not delivering to its promise.

The OBi also has a bug in its DaylightSavingTimeStart computation and fails to recognize the start of DST when the specified weekday is on the specified month/day.  IOW, the OBi will fail to recognize the start of DST in 2015 when the second Sunday in March falls on March 8.

RonR

The OBiTALK Forum software doesn't recognize the start of Daylight Savings Time either.   ;D

Huib

The portal is a big disappointment. And hopefully they will have addressed the issue by 2015 when the situation occurs as described by RonR. As far as negative values are concerned: later on in my discussion with support they retracted the statement and negative values are allowed, as per the documentation. And in 2 weeks I'll find out whether the strings for the Netherlands work or not  :)