News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting IP address conflicts... any idea what I can do?

Started by kealolo, February 03, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kealolo

Hi, I'm a newbie.

I'm using an Obi100 on a Dlink router with two mac mini computers and one PC.

It works, but the system keeps freezing up, we keep getting IP conflicts when the Obi is plugged in, which shuts down the internet function of the computers. We get the message "another device is using the IP address of your computer". It always turns out to be the Obi causing it somehow. It's a standard time-warner cable modem with dynamic IP addressing.  Obviously, we need to retain internet capability and need the phone to work what do you suggest? I'm not afraid to tinker, but I'm no computer expert.

Thanks.

RonR

Assuming you have the OBi using DHCP (default), the OBi gets issued its IP address by your Dlink router.

Do you have everything on your network configured for DHCP?  If so, it's the Dlink router who is responsible for issuing everyone a unique IP address.  If you have anything cofigured for a static IP address, it becomes your responsibilty to choose IP addresses that do no conflict with others or ones issued by the Dlink router.