News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Simultaneous sessions limits with OBi110

Started by FM9295, February 03, 2012, 08:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM9295

I have an OBi110 with PSTN landline to the LINE port and analog phone to the PHONE port.  I have GV as SP1.  I am using the default config with my landline as the primary outgoing service.

I know that the OBi110 can handle to simultaneous sessions per provider.  Here is my question (sorry, I found something very close to this in some posts from June 2011, but nobody every specifically answered this question):

Say I would get a second GV number so I would have GV #1 for SP1 and GV #2 for SP2.
If I had SP2 set to route incoming calls to AA, then could I be away from home, call SP2, get AA and redirect that call to another number................... while simultaneously ........................
someone is at home, using SP1 to make an outgoing call (or receiving an incoming call)? 

To take it one step further, say my wife and I are both away from home and I call SP1 and use AA to redirect my call ................while simultaneously....................my wife calls SP2 and uses AA to redirect her call.

Will this work?  Obviously I could get it to work with just one GV#1 (SP1) number because the outside call to AA uses 2 simultaneous sessions leaving none to call out on from home on SP1. 

Don't want to go through the setup of a second GV # if someone can see why this isn't going to work anyway.  If it will work, are those outside calls that are re-routed with AA actually coming back through my home router and using my bandwidth, or is that all happening in the cloud on OBi and GV's servers?

RonR

I think you understand it perfectly.  The OBi can bridge up to four calls and each Google Voice account can handle two calls each.

FM9295

So if I understand you correctly, I should be able to do what I proposed if I get a second GV# and set incoming to AA?

Thanks

RonR

Quote from: FM9295 on February 03, 2012, 09:20:42 PM
So if I understand you correctly, I should be able to do what I proposed if I get a second GV# and set incoming to AA?

It looks very reasonable to me.

FM9295

For the record, do the outside calls to my GV that go to the AA and reroute to another number actually end up going through my router and using my bandwidth or is it all in the cloud and on GV and OBi servers?

RonR

The only calls that do not go over the Internet are those that go through the LINE Port.

Stewart

IMO, it is very unusual to want to call an OBi via GV, redirect via the OBi's AA, then use GV for the outbound leg.  You would get a better quality and lower latency call, by simply going through GV's AA and not involving the OBi at all.  This is also more reliable and doesn't use your OBi or Internet resources.

I suppose that you might be forced to go through the OBi, if other constraints on your configuration preclude access to the GV prompt from the calling phone.  However, in your situation, that doesn't seem to be the case.

From your cell phone or another phone associated with your GV account, calling your own GV number should (by default) get to to GV voicemail; just press 2 to make a call.  If you need to call home, call some other number of yours, such as your wife's GV, or your landline.

If the above doesn't work for you, please provide details; there is probably a clean workaround.

FM9295

Thanks--I'm just getting set up on this and didn't realize that GV gave that option directly.  I really have no need for the voicemail feature on GV and I was hoping to avoid the annoying beeps on the OBi at home telling me they are there.  Thus, I unchecked the VM option in GV and hadn't explored further.

On the other hand, probably the biggest reason I was looking for a way to redirect calls is that my parents have to call long-distance to us.  So I set my GV number in their local area to make it a local call for them.  I thought that while I was at it, I would try to find a way for them to be able to make other LD calls for free without getting an OBi themselves (because then I would have to do tech support on it!).  I thought that the second GV would allow me to give them that local number to call (and reroute for LD calls if desired) while allowing us to be sure that our OBi isn't tied up for outgoing calls SP1 (GV #1) when we need it.

But are you saying that if I would set them up a GV number of their own that is local for them, then they would be able to call it from their landline and redirect to any other US number (without an OB) by enabling the GV attendant and pressing 2?

Stewart

You should get a separate GV number for your folks.  You'll need to work with them to get their landline number verified to the account.  In GV setup, on the Phones tab, edit the entry for the landline, click Show advanced settings, set Direct access to voicemail and (if desired) PIN not required.  An additional advantage to this setup is that their calls will show their GV number as caller ID, so when someone returns a call, it will ring their landline and not disturb you.

FM9295

The return call issue is an important one.  Thanks a lot for pointing that out!  Hadn't thought of that.