News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Buzz noise on OBI100 not OBI110

Started by Judgeless, February 04, 2012, 02:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judgeless

I now have 4 OBI110's and just added an OBI100 that I am going to use when I travel.

All the OBI110's work perfect.  The OBI100 has some buzz on the line.  Is there a way to filter this out?

I did a test.  I put all 5 devices next to each other and plugged the same generic phone into each one and dialed a number.  When you do this get silence until you dial a second number.  Some OBI110 have a little more back ground buzz then other but it is not noticeable.  The OBI100 is very noticeable. Do I have a bad unit?  Do all OBI100's have this issue? Is there a simple fix?

RonR

I've got OBi110's and OBi100's in service here and don't get any buzz.

What do you mean by dialing a second number?:

"When you do this get silence until you dial a second number."

You don't have a cell phone anywhere in the vicinity, do you?  They are notorious for interfering with all kinds of electronic equipment.  Routers and cordless phones in the vicinity are also possible culprits.

Judgeless

Quote from: RonR on February 04, 2012, 03:08:20 PM
What do you mean by dialing a second number?:

"When you do this get silence until you dial a second number."

You don't have a cell phone anywhere in the vicinity, do you? 

When you pick up the phone you get a dial tone.  When you press a number the dial tone stops and you hear silence.  During the silence you can here the buz very well.

I do not have a cell phone in the vicinity.  I wonder if I should just send this unit back. 

RonR

Take the OBi to a totally different area and connect nothing to it but a simple corded telephone and its power supply.  If you still get a buzz once you break dialtone, it's almost certainly originating in the OBi or its power supply, which you can swap out to eliminate.

Judgeless

Today I isolated the unit by just plugging in a phone and the power supply into the OBI100.  It still had the buzz.

I noticed that the OBI110 and OBI100 use the same power supply so I tried a supply from an OBI110 on the OBI100 and it still has the buzz.

Do you think I should send back to Amazon or try sending it back to OBI?

RonR

Quote from: Judgeless on February 05, 2012, 08:33:56 AM
Do you think I should send back to Amazon or try sending it back to OBI?

If you also took it to a different part of the house to rule out any possible interaction with wireless phones, routers, computers, etc., it sounds like a defective unit.