News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Possible? Ipkall & iptel inbound on sp2, callcentric outbound on sp2

Started by freeatlast, February 05, 2012, 05:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freeatlast

Last time I posted, I was asking for help setting up SP2 so that I could get a free telephone number from Ipkall, and have calls to that number directed towards SP2.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=2266.0

That part is working, but now I would like to be able to make phone calls out of SP2.  I already have GV providing free phone calls out of SP1, but I am thinking of signing up with Callcentric for E911 service and also as a back-up for dialing out in case GV is on the fritz.

My question is: Can this be done using the Obitalk portal without accessing the device directly using its built-in web server, or having to go Obitalk's into OBI Expert Configuration?

If possible, I'd like keep things simple by configuring the settings in the obitalk portal.

Stewart

If you no longer need iptel, just replace that with Callcentric.  With a free CC account, test by calling 17771234567.  Then, set up IPKall to go via CC:
SIP Phone Number: 1777xxxxxxx (your CC number)
SIP Proxy: in.callcentric.com

freeatlast

Quote from: Stewart on February 05, 2012, 07:42:56 AM
If you no longer need iptel, just replace that with Callcentric. 

That's a good idea.  I suppose it's the case that all VOIP providers charge based upon outgoing calls.  Ie, incoming calls are free, unlike American cell phone companies that charge for air time regardless of whether a call is inbound or outbound.  As such, I could use the Callcentric sip address for incoming as well as outgoing calls on SP2, with IPKall binding to the incoming calls.

DaveTap

FYI not all VOIP providers are the same. Yes some only charge for outgoing calls, others charge for all calls, others have minutes plans, most allow free in-network calls, some allow free SIP calls, and so on.

freeatlast

Quote from: DaveTap on February 06, 2012, 06:36:22 AM
FYI not all VOIP providers are the same. Yes some only charge for outgoing calls, others charge for all calls, others have minutes plans, most allow free in-network calls, some allow free SIP calls, and so on.

Interesting.  I'll have to be careful about reading the fine print.

freeatlast

I am thinking of extending this configuration a little further.  I want to be able to FAX reliably.  As I understand it, the Obi does not support T.38 while Callcentric does.  To enable FAXing on Callcentric, I would need some other ATA which supports T.38.  Fortunately, I happen to have a spare Linksys SPA2102 around.

So here is what I am considering for my set-up:

SP1 -  GV (my regular GV account for voice calls)
SP2 -  GV (a GV account for FAXing only using G.711)
Line - My SPA2102 set up with Callcentric

On my FAX-only GV account, I would forward all calls to my IPKall number (rather than Google Chat) which would be bound to CC so that incoming FAXes would come in thought the Line port using the SPA2102. Presumably, incoming FAXes would be free, as the GV telephone number is free, the IPKall telephone number is free, and incoming CC calls are free.

To send a FAX, I would:

1) Try to use GV on SP2 and hope that G.711 is reliable enough to get the FAX through.
2) But if the FAX were really important, I would dial **8 followed by the actual FAX destination telephone number to send the FAX via the SPA2102 using Callcentric with T.38.

Would this arrangement work?  Even though the Obi does not support T.38, can a FAX machine hooked up to the Obi Phone port pass through the Line port to the SPA2102 in order to send a FAX using T.38?

If possible, I would like to get incoming FAXes for free, and also to send FAXes for free if I can (using GV) but at low cost if necessary (using CC).

DaveTap

A few years ago I tried setting up faxing for a friend's small business using GV forwarded to various fax-to-email services like eFax and OneSuite.com... For $1/mo OneSuite worked great by itself but didn't have any numbers local to his shop. After screwing around a while I managed to get GV forwarding to OneSuite but could never get it to reliably pass faxes. Every now and then a short cover page only might sneak through but it was the exception not the rule. For a couple years we used JoiPhone.com but their fax -to-email wasn't reliabe and got worse as time progressed. Recently I upgraded him to Anveo.com ... $1/mo per DID and free fax to email. You do pay small amount to send faxes but it works reliably if you set machine to lowest speed. The better way to send faxes with them is to scan to PC and use their email to fax service. (Also for $0.80/month they provide E911)