News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can this Ooma feature be programmed into Obi?

Started by jeetco, February 08, 2012, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeetco

Hello,

Ooma has a feature that when my internet is down for some reason, it is able to forward all calls to another phone number (like my cell phone).  I was wondering if I can program the Obi to do the same thing.  That is, if and when my internet were to go down for some reason or the other, can the Obi sense that loss in the internet connection and in that event, can I get the Obi to forward my calls?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

RonR

If your Internet connection is down, the only incoming call you could possilby get would be on the LINE Port from your landline.  Since you have no other services available at that point, there's not much the OBi could do with that call.

Any failover/forwarding in the case of Internet failure would have to be done from your telephone service provider's side.

jeetco

RonR,

Thanks for your reply!  I plan to ditch my ooma service, port my residential line to google voice via the t-mobile sim card activation.  Once I do that, I will not have a regualar "land line".  All my calls incoming and outgoing will be via obi and goole voice.  There have been instances when my internet did go down and the call forwarding service by ooma was useful.  That is why I was wondering...when I do go exclusive using the obi and GV, can I be able to route phone calls to another number when the internet goes down.

RonR

Quote from: jeetco on February 08, 2012, 11:57:20 AM
That is why I was wondering...when I do go exclusive using the obi and GV, can I be able to route phone calls to another number when the internet goes down.

Google Voice will route the caller to voicemail if you don't answer the call within 25 seconds for any reason.  Google Voice doesn't offer a means to detect that your OBi is offline and route the call to an alternate number in that event.  You can have Google Voice simultaneously ring additional numbers along with the OBi, but I can't think of any other option.