News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Chat check box does not appear

Started by ATW136, February 13, 2012, 01:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATW136

I previously set up two Google Voice accounts and they work with one Obi.

Today, I set up another two Google Voice accounts but neither one displays the Google Chat check box so that I can forward to two Obi's.

I made outgoing phone calls from both of the new accounts.

Any ideas?

RonR

Quote from: ATW136 on February 13, 2012, 01:54:13 PM
I made outgoing phone calls from both of the new accounts.

Did you make those outgoing calls from the associated Gmail account web page?

ATW136

I decided to ask my question here because of the intense interest in Google Voice for the Obis.

I found the following on the Google Voice forum that addressed my problem:
1. Make at least one call from the "call phone" feature in Gmail/Chat.
2. In GV website | Settings (under the gear icon) | Phones, add Chat as a forwarding phone
3. With Gmail open in another browser window and Chat logged into, initiate a call from Google Voice.

I had already done 1.

I logged into gmail, then went to gv and discovered that the Chat check box had appeared.  I don't know if logging into gmail, revealed the Chat check box or something else did...

jimates

Google Talk does not appear as a forwarding phone until you place that first call from within gmail.

ATW136

@jimates,

Would you please explain that?  I never went to look at the gmail until after I had set up the two GV accounts.  I did use the CALL feature on Google for both accounts.  My impression is that the Chat box appeared only after I looked at gmail and then went to Voice, on both GV accounts.  But, when you're operating in the dark, impressions can be wrong.

jimates

In order to use chat in gmail you have to download the plugin and enable calling in the settings.

2 things have to happen to see the "google talk" in your google voice page.

1 - You must have your google voice account associated with a gmail account (and have calling from chat enabled). If you use a gmail address to log into your google voice then the association is already made.

2 - You must make at least one successful call from within gmail.

After that the "google talk" phone will appear in your google voice page. You still have to select it as a forwarding phone in order to receive calls to the Obi, aka google chat.