News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using "Import Config to OBi Expert" in OBi Talk

Started by larrybob, February 16, 2012, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybob

I have not had success in using  Import Config to OBi Expert in the OBi Talk portal. Is this feature working? Has anyone tried this?
This  feature would be a great help to me...Thanks for any help, or even a response that this feature is not working.

Larry

Everton

I have tried it and had no luck.  Have you contacted support?  I did, but they were of no help in this regard.

HashJ

I had the same issue at first, then I found that you can import if you have created the back up by selecting only the "use OBi version" and NOT the other two option. Hope that works for you too.

Everton

Just try what you stated and it worked!!!  Initially, that was not how it functioned, as I was able to backup the config by selecting all three options and imported it into OBITALK without any problems.  It is amazing that such a change occurred and the user is not informed, even when you contact OBiSupport.  This suggest that they is some form of disconnect between the programmers and the support individual(s).  The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Quote from: HashJ on February 16, 2012, 02:34:04 PM
I had the same issue at first, then I found that you can import if you have created the back up by selecting only the "use OBi version" and NOT the other two option. Hope that works for you too.

RonR

The last time I played with importing a backup file to OBi Expert (a long time back), the import succeeded (with only 'Use OBi Version' checked), but none of my custom settings were enabled.  I would have had to go through every setting changing checkboxes to make them effective (way too much work!).  Is it still that way?

Everton

It appears that ALL SETTINGS, including passwords are saved and brought into the OBiTALK Portal.  I did not have to make any changes at all.  I'm assuming that this was the case when I upload the config file, as it shows it was done successfully and I hope it wiped out any previous settings, which is what it did a week or two ago when I tried.  So, I guess there was some improvements in this implementation.  Maybe someone else can confirm what I just observed.

Quote from: RonR on February 16, 2012, 03:10:12 PM
The last time I played with importing a backup file to OBi Expert (a long time back), the import succeeded (with only 'Use OBi Version' checked), but none of my custom settings were enabled.  I would have had to go through every setting changing checkboxes to make them effective (way too much work!).  Is it still that way?

RonR

Quote from: Everton on February 16, 2012, 03:34:54 PM
It appears that ALL SETTINGS, including passwords are saved and brought into the OBiTALK Portal.

Passwords are not saved in the backup file.  If you reset an OBi to factory defaults and import a backup file directly into it, you must manually re-enter all passwords and PINs.

The case I tried with OBi Expert was importing a backup file to an oherwise blank configuration (as if I was starting from scratch).

Everton

RonR:

If the Passwords are were not saved, why is it when I upload the saved Configuration file, both my GV and SIP lines showed connected?  I even went ahead and made a small change, which cause the OBi110 to update and reboot and everything remained the same as far as registration is concern?  Is there any way you can test this to prove me wrong?  What I describe was the behavior I observed and the only explanation is that when I upload the config, it kept some information like the password intact and updated some of the fields or maybe it did nothing when it said the configuration file upload was successful.  BTW, is there a two-way Sync between the OBi110 and OBiTALK Provisioning based on the Config URL?

Either way, you own test would prove helpful here.....I know you do not necessarily like to mess with the OBiTALK stuff...consider it in furtherance of science  ;D

Quote from: RonR on February 16, 2012, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: Everton on February 16, 2012, 03:34:54 PM
It appears that ALL SETTINGS, including passwords are saved and brought into the OBiTALK Portal.

Passwords are not saved in the backup file.  If you reset an OBi to factory defaults and import a backup file directly into it, you must manually re-enter all passwords and PINs.

The case I tried with OBi Expert was importing a backup file to an oherwise blank configuration (as if I was starting from scratch).

RonR

Quote from: Everton on February 16, 2012, 04:00:26 PM
If the Passwords are were not saved, why is it when I upload the saved Configuration file, both my GV and SIP lines showed connected?

Did you clear the passwords out of OBi Expert before you imported the backup file.  I suspect the import of the backup file is doing more of a merge than it is a replacement.

I'm about to grab a bit of dinner but will break out a fresh OBi when I get back, add it to the OBiTALK Web Portal but not configure anything, and import a working backup file and see if the new OBi gets 'cloned'.

RonR

I took a brand new OBi110 out of the box, updated it to the latest firmware, and reset it to factory defaults.  I then added it to the OBiTALK Web Portal Dashboard.  I did no further configuration of any kind to the OBi either directly or through the OBiTALK Web Portal.

From OBi Expert, I imported a backup file I had created just hours ago of one my heavily used OBi110's.  The OBiTALK Web Portal reported that the file had been successfully imported.  However, there was no sign of any imported settings anywhere.  No combination of checking and unchecking boxes would make any new setting appear.  All settings in the OBiTALK Web Portal OBi Expert and in the OBi itself remained totally unchanged.

I then used the same backup file with the Restore a Configuration option in the OBi directly and all the settings from the backup file were restored to the new OBi.  I now had a perfect clone of the OBi from which the backup file had been created, with the exception of passwords and PINs which are not saved in backup files.

As far as I can tell, the OBi Expert Import function does nothing whatsoever.

ProfTech

FWIW, this is the same experience I have had. Nothing seems to be "imported". Limits the usefulness of the Expert Mode / Portal quite a bit.