News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

PrimaryLine setting always reverts to PSTN

Started by swbrains, February 24, 2012, 05:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrains

Hi,

I just set up my OBi110 with Google Voice.  

I do NOT have a TELCO phone line connected to the Obi110; just a 2-line phone plugged into the PHONE jack which goes to LINE2 on my 2-line phone.  My TELCO line goes directly from the wall to LINE1 on my phone and works fine.

Incoming calls to my GV number work fine every time.

For outgoing calls, I keep getting the "No service available" message when making outgoing calls and ultimately found that I needed to set Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service, so I did (it was set to PSTN).  Rebooted and checked it and it was correct (SP1).  Made an outgoing call successfully to my cell phone.

Tried to make another call and got "no service" message again.

Then went back to Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine and it was reset back to PSTN.  I changed it, saved it, rebooted, and it was set properly (SP1).  Made an outgoing call successfully.  

Went back to Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine and it was reset to PSTN.  Tried another outgoing call and got "no service" message.

The last time, I changed it to SP1 and saved/rebooted.  Waited a minute with no outgoing calls.  PrimaryLine reverted back to PSTN again.

Why won't this setting stick?  I get the impression that if it stuck, my outgoing service would be fine, but it keeps reverting after I make an outgoing call.

Thanks,
-- Vinnie

RonR

When you configure the OBi directly, you must also set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

or the OBiTALK Web Portal will reconfigure the OBi back to its settings.

swbrains

Thanks Ron,

I was just about to post that I think I found something interesting.  Don't know if it's related to the settings you mentioned, but my ObiTalk Provisioning was already set to Disabled, and I tried the ITSP Provisioning = Disabled but had the same issue.

Here's what I ended up doing:

I had originally had a 4-wire phone cord going from the wall to the OBi Line jack, then from Obi PHONE to my phone's LINE1+2 jack.  That wouldn't give me dial tone on the Obi line.  I ended up running one phone cable from the wall (TELCO) directly to the phone's LINE1+2 jack (for my standard POTS line) and ran another cable from the Obi PHONE jack to the phone's LINE2 jack so Obi would be Line 2 (nothing plugged into the Obi LINE jack at this point).

I then realized that I had run the 4-wire phone cord from the wall to my LINE1+2 jack, even though I was only using Line 1 from the TELCO (I only have one phone line from the cable company's phone service so the wall jack should only have signal on the Line 1 pair.)  Anyway, I pulled the TELCO wire out of the back of the phone and tried resetting the PrimaryLine setting to SP1.  It stuck.  I made an outgoing call and it still stuck.  Waited 5 minutes, it was still set to SP1.  Rebooted Obi - stayed at SP1!  :)

So I tried replacing the 4-wire cable from the TELCO wall jack to the phone with a 2-wire (single line) cable and it actually worked.  It's still worked! 

So, I don't understand it, but it seems as if feeding both lines of "signal" from the TELCO jack (even though only one was active) into the phone's LINE1+2 jack and having the Obi plugged into the phone's LINE-2 jack caused some kind of incompatibility or perhaps sent some type of signal to the Obi?   I don't know what the cause was, but the fix appears to be working consistently.  :)

If you have any idea why that would have caused the problem, I wouldn't mind understanding it better... ;)

Do you think I should still disable the ITSP Provisioning Method anyway now that it's working better?

Thanks,
-- Vinnie

RonR

Quote from: swbrains on February 24, 2012, 07:13:25 PM
If you have any idea why that would have caused the problem, I wouldn't mind understanding it better... ;)

Do you think I should still disable the ITSP Provisioning Method anyway now that it's working better?

If you're going to be configuring the OBi directly, you must set both Auto Provisioning Method's to Disabled.  I'm sure the Auto Provisioning setting(s) being enabled was the cause of problem you were having.  PHONE Port wiring wouldn't cause any settings to change.