News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 110 + Google Voice Outside of the US.

Started by JadedSoulX, February 29, 2012, 06:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JadedSoulX

I am located in Trinidad (the Caribbean).

I have an Obi 110 and it works fine with Google Voice.

The only problem is that every time I make a call to the US it charges me 1c/minute.

Is there anyway to get free calls to the US?

Thank you for any help.

QBZappy

JadedSoulX,

If you have friends or family State side you could either install an OBi unit there, or have them install an OBiAPP on their computer and call them directly this way. The OBiAPP can be directed to any OBi under your control or by invitation.

Come to think of it, you can also call them on their Gtalk account using your OBi.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

I don't know how Google does this "accounting", but have observed the following behavior:  From my present location (Thailand), if I use a GV account that was set up from within the continental US, I am not charged for US calls.  Possibly, it's because it is an old "grandfathered" account.  Using a GV account set up from another country, I pay $0.01/min.  Or, you might try connecting through a US-based VPN (with hardware VPN router or Internet Connection Sharing on your PC).

If the above doesn't help, you might try Localphone (most US locations $0.005/min.) or a Betamax provider ($0.003/min. or some "free" calls with complex rules) http://backsla.sh/betamax .  IMO, quality will likely be inferior to GV.

Or, if your usage is heavy, try an "unlimited" provider such as VOIPo or Phonepower.

QBZappy

Stewart,

What's the weather like there today? :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

Quote from: QBZappy on February 29, 2012, 07:09:40 PMWhat's the weather like there today? :)
85 deg. F and partly cloudy in Bangkok, outside the apartment at ~10:15 AM; today's forecast is high of 100, low 79.

QBZappy

Montreal weather at the moment:
-6 deg C, announcing 15 cm of snow overnight. Want to trade places?

JadedSoulX

Quote from: Stewart on February 29, 2012, 07:06:18 PM
I don't know how Google does this "accounting", but have observed the following behavior:  From my present location (Thailand), if I use a GV account that was set up from within the continental US, I am not charged for US calls.  

My Google Voice account was setup in the US and I am still charged.

I believe that Google voice uses the IP address to pinpoint the origin of the call and charges accordingly. My evidence for this is that I can place US calls from the Google voice account within the US for free.

Any other suggestions?

It seems like the cheaper option is to buy another OBi...