News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting Verizon Home phone landline??

Started by fibercarbon, March 02, 2012, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fibercarbon

i cant figure out how to get my landline phone from verizon to work on this thing so i can cancel my 25$ a month verizon phone service?? google voice said it currently doesnt support this number.

Stewart

GV will only port numbers in cities where the CLECs they use (mainly Bandwidth.com) have a presence.  What city are you in?  What is the first 6 digits of your phone number, e.g. 212-345-xxxx ?

fibercarbon

Maryland
Zip code 21702

home phone landline
301 473 XXXX

Through verizon.. i was going to try this method
http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial.html

and buy the sim card from t-mobile for 2$

https://www.t-mobile.com/switch/default.aspx

Stewart

Bandwidth.com does have a presence in Frederick rate center, so you should have no trouble (after porting to T-Mobile).

fibercarbon

if u buy the 2$ prepaid sim card. i dont have an unlocked tmobile phone? how would i do this step?

Stewart

Quote from: fibercarbon on March 02, 2012, 08:58:21 PMi dont have an unlocked tmobile phone? how would i do this step?
If your present cell provider is AT&T or one of their MVNOs, and you have a postpaid account that has been active for at least 90 days, they should give you the unlock code on request.

If you have an old GSM phone from any provider (or can get one from a friend), it's presently useless, so there is little risk trying to unlock it yourself, with instructions easily found on the Internet.

Otherwise, you could buy the least expensive T-Mobile compatible phone, or get a good GSM phone that would also be useful when traveling overseas, as a spare phone, etc.

fibercarbon

my current Landline home phone provider is verizon. i have about 5 phones through out my house id like to convert to be able to use this.

fibercarbon

looks like im going to have to go the route of buying

the sim card.. still not sure how i will get it working as i don't have an unlocked t mobile phone?? does the phone have to be unlocked? Because it mentions installing the sim in an UNLOCKED t mobile phone
http://www.obihai.com/porttutorial.html
:-\  ???  ???
please help!

Stewart

Quote from: fibercarbon on March 03, 2012, 07:28:19 PMdoes the phone have to be unlocked?
Yes, unless it's locked to T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs.  What model phone(s) do you have?  For active ones, who is the carrier?  Have a postpaid plan?

fibercarbon

i have a tracfone but it doesn't have a sim card and it runs off att towers i checked.
http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdirect/tracfone/PhoneDetails.do?action=view&productVariantExtensionId=10369551

this is just a backup phone. my main phone is a verizon phone. which im not porting or messing with because its a brand new droid razr

Stewart

You could buy a TracFone SIM and port your number to it.

I believe that your TracFone should work with e.g. Jolt Mobile or other AT&T MVNOs; ask them about compatibility and porting.

fibercarbon

Quote from: Stewart on March 03, 2012, 09:19:04 PM
You could buy a TracFone SIM and port your number to it.

I believe that your TracFone should work with e.g. Jolt Mobile or other AT&T MVNOs; ask them about compatibility and porting.

ill try the tracfone and see.. what is mvno?

jimates

Mobile Virtual Network Operator

Tracfone handset will only work with Tracfone sim card. They will send you a new sim for free but you will have to buy an airtime card to activate the phone. Would be cheaper to buy a new $10 tracfone, it comes with 10 or 20 minutes.

fibercarbon

why go with tracfone tho? from what ive read from my research t-mobile seems to be the easiest to get to port the landline over then to google voice. to get it working.

jimates

Quote from: fibercarbon on March 03, 2012, 11:47:02 PM
why go with tracfone tho? from what ive read from my research t-mobile seems to be the easiest to get to port the landline over then to google voice. to get it working.
Perhaps more people that posted have used T-Mobile. The process is the same and should be just as easy. If you want to you can make sure you get a Tracfone with a T-Mobile sim, but it doesn't matter.

You should be able to find plenty of old Tracfones. Likely at least one friend has one or knows someone that does. I have several hundred. Like myself, I can send anyone one for $5 shipping and Tracfone will give you a new sim. I have sims also but for the novice it is better to get it from Tracfone.

fibercarbon

i tried putting the tmobile sim i got from the tmobile activation kit into a tracfone and it said sim locked. wouldnt go past the emergency 911 only screen. got a 20$ tmobile prepaid phone tonight im going to try that and see how it works. i called tmobile they said i need to give them the verizon landline account # and pin. i dont think i have any pin for my verizon landline.

jimates

Tracfone, Net10, Safelink and Straight Talk branded phones have proprietary firmware that will only work when their sim card is present. And their sim cards will only work with that proprietary firmware. All their unused sim cards are the same, but become locked to the phone once the phone is powered up.

Only a couple of their phones will go past the emergency call message to access anything.

Rick

Quote from: fibercarbon on March 06, 2012, 06:09:15 PM
i called tmobile they said i need to give them the verizon landline account # and pin. i dont think i have any pin for my verizon landline.

Check your phone bill.  With ATT, there are digits after your phone number on the bill.