News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

IP addressing problem

Started by dewce, March 11, 2012, 01:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dewce

My Obi110 insists on obtaining the IP address 192.168.2.110 (I know this by dialing ***1).  However, that is not a valid address given by my router (available addresses are 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.199).  I cannot figure out how to get the Obi110 to obtain a valid (i.e. 192.168.1.xxx) address.  I cannot log into the Obi110, since my router does not acknowledge the 192.168.2.xxx address.  I tried giving it a static IP in my router settings (i.e. 192.168.1.105), but that doesn't work (yes I rebooted the router and the Obi110).  Any suggestions on how to make the Obi110 and router play nice with each other?  Thanks!

Dewce

RonR

Try setting the OBi Ethernet port to 100 mb/s Full-Duplex (it defaults to 10 mb/s Half-Duplex):

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

dewce

Thanks for the reply.  I reset the duplex as you described, and after the reboot, it still defaults back to 192.168.2.110.  Any other ideas would be appreciated!

RonR

Try temporarily connecting the OBi directly to your modem, bypassing the router.  Power-cycle both the modem and the OBi after making the direct connection.  If the OBi gets a good IP address from the modem, you should be able to reach the echo test at **9 222 222 222.  That will narrow the problem down to the router.

dewce

OK, when I go directly form the model to the Obi (after rebooting both, of course), I get an IP address of 24.22.58.xxx, and I can complete the echo test.  When I plug the router back in and reboot the Obi & modem, the Obi again gets the address of 192.168.2.110, and no calls can then be made.

dewce

Also, when I check my client list on my router, it sees the Obi's MAC and assigns it the 192.168.1.105 address, but the Obi thinks its address is 192.168.2.110.

RonR

There appears to be a DHCP compatibility problem between the OBi and your particular router.  I suspect it will take Obihai to figure it out and possibly offer a solution.

RonR

You might try setting a static IP address (192.168.1.105) in the OBi using ***4 (this will disable DHCP in the OBi).

dewce

RonR, you are awesome!  Thanks!  I updated the firmware on my router, set the IP as you described, and am now using Google Voice on the Obi.  Thanks again for your help!  It is strange how everyone says the Obi is so easy to set up, but there is this small subset of us that have problems out of the box.  Oh well, everything works now.

RonR

Does DHCP still not work with the updated firmware?

I would only use a static IP address (from the OBi side) if DHCP refuses to work properly.

otherwhirl

I suspect, this is probably the same as what i've been experiencing for the past week.

Gonna give it a try