News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Switch to a different Google Voice account

Started by theleinwebers, March 20, 2012, 09:27:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theleinwebers

I installed my OBi 110 device and connected it with a Google voice account.  After successful connection, I decided that I wanted to switch to a different Google voice account and number.  I'm not sure how to modify my OBi account, so that it is connect to this new Google number.

I don't see a way to delete or change this preference.

Another way to solve my issue is to connect two Google Voice Numbers to the same OBi device?  I need to be able to call my home using my cell phone.  Also, I want two separate Google Voice numbers, one to be used for my family and the other to be used for my personal line.

Thanks,
Michael

RonR

The following information assumes you are configuring the OBi directly and have set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Quote from: theleinwebers on March 20, 2012, 09:27:43 AM
I installed my OBi 110 device and connected it with a Google voice account.  After successful connection, I decided that I wanted to switch to a different Google voice account and number.  I'm not sure how to modify my OBi account, so that it is connect to this new Google number.

Your existing Google Voice account credentials are contained in these two settings:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)

To switch to another Google Voice account, simply change the username and password to that of the new Google Voice account.

Quote from: theleinwebers on March 20, 2012, 09:27:43 AM
Another way to solve my issue is to connect two Google Voice Numbers to the same OBi device?  I need to be able to call my home using my cell phone.  Also, I want two separate Google Voice numbers, one to be used for my family and the other to be used for my personal line.

Google Voice on SP1:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Google Voice on SP2:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

where aaa is your local area code for 7-digit dialing.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service or SP2 Service

daluu

Relating to this, can you have 2 GV accounts for both SPs for OBi? Or only one can be GV and the other a SIP provider?

RonR

You can have any combination of two service providers (SP1 and SP2) using Google Voice and SIP.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: RonR on March 20, 2012, 11:29:43 AM
The following information assumes you are configuring the OBi directly and have set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

To the OP: Seriously, DON'T DO THAT unless YOU want the headache of configuring your device manually.  The OBiTALK portal is your friend, at least until you are an expert (or a pompous know-it-all), and there is no reason to give up the benefits of the portal just because someone who apparently has no life outside of this forum tells you to.  If YOU want to do that, that's fine, but beware of some of the BAD advice you get on this forum, particularly from people with extremely high post counts (remember this forum has only been around for a little over a year.  Do the math — high post count does not necessarily equal high quality posts).

The CORRECT (and much easier) way to do this for 99% of users is this:

Log into the OBiTALK portal, and at the OBi Dashboard click the blue gear icon next to your device.  On the next screen, click on the blue gear icon next to the account you wish to change (or configure).  If you wish to erase an existing account so you can use a different service provider, just click the trashcan icon first instead.  If you are just changing an existing Google Voice account all you have to do is change the e-mail address and password to the new account and you are done.  MUCH easier, AND by using the portal you can do it even if you happen to be away from home and need to make a configuration change.

The one thing I detest most about RonR is that he does not explain options like this to new users.  He just thinks everybody ought to do things the way HE thinks is best, and unfortunately, what HE thinks is best simply isn't the right way for most users, especially new users.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.