News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Choppiness when downloading file

Started by JD1940, March 20, 2012, 09:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD1940

For the most part my Obi/GV setup is working fine. However, I've had several people tell me they can barely understand me due to choppiness at their end. My receiving end is just fine. I've noticed this problem occurs when a file is being  downloaded on the network so I'm  wondering if it is a port conflict? I also have a Magic Jack setup which almost never has this problem and a VOIPo line which does have it but not to the extent the Obi does. When  files are not being downloaded call quality is fine in both directions.

I've done some forum reading and just did the Option 27 change to a duplex port but have no idea whether that will help with this problem or not. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have no problem logging into the Obi box, but have absolutely no idea what to do once I get there.

Stewart

You can do a fairly objective test of outbound voice quality by leaving yourself a long voicemail, then listening to it by non-VoIP means.

While it's very common to have choppy outbound voice while uploading (the cure is proper QoS settings on your router, or a router with better QoS), having the issue when downloading is quite unusual.  Possibly, if you have a very high speed ratio, e.g. 50 Mbps / 1 Mbps, you could be saturating the upstream with ACKs.  Or, your router might not have enough processing speed to keep up with your downstream.  Please post modem and router make/model, rated and measured line speeds up/down.

The GV servers might not be as tolerant of jitter as your other providers.  Try setting up VOIPo BYOD credentials on SP2 and compare quality with GV.

Also, there may be a better service for your needs than GV.  With VOIPo (cloned line) + MagicJack, you had the capability of three concurrent calls, all with unlimited domestic calling, before even getting the OBi.  How are you using GV?

JD1940

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days.

The router is a Netgear WNDR3700. Under QoS settings I have the Obi Mac address set for highest priority and I also have the Netgear port to which the Obi is plugged set to highest priority. I'm not a gamer so I have all those priorities set to normal although I could just delete  them if that would make any difference.

VOIPo is set as the SP2 since I use it for its 911 capability. I have a second Panasonic phone system I can switch between VOIPo and Magic Jack so I can use them independently of the Obi if necessary.

As for the reason for having all three Voip services: I started with Magic Jack which works through the router only but is so limited in features as to be undesirable and has much lower voice quality. I then set up the VOIPo account which works fine but then read about the Obi/GV combo which makes for a no cost service after paying  the one time hardware charge. I'd like to keep using Obi because I have a better  number with that service although I know I could port that to VOIPo if I needed to.

The choppiness seems to occur only when downloading a file (Cox, 20,000 down, 735 up) and it will stop if I pause the download. More often than not this seems to occur late at night and is normally never noticed during the day. I suppose it could be a Cox problem...just trying to find options for correcting.