News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Solved. Help! obi110 not stable with google voice

Started by benb, March 21, 2012, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benb

I have my obi110 set up with two google voice on sp1 and sp2 respectively.
The first time it was easy to set up and both line worked fine.
However, it turns out they are super unstable.  From time to time, one line or both stop working and I'll get messages like "there is no service...", "the phone number is rejected by...", with the reason "500".
When this happen, the **9-222-222-222 works fine, my network is also fine.  And weird thing is, without doing anything at all, they may work again over time.

I've tried the static IP trick and the **0--option 27--1 trick, both won't help.

Following are the current (not working) info:

AddressingType   Static  
IPAddress           192.168.1.35  
SubnetMask         255.255.255.0  
DefaultGateway   192.168.1.1  
DNSServer1         4.2.2.2  
DNSServer2         8.8.8.8  

HardwareVersion 2.8  
SoftwareVersion 1.3.0 (Build: 2690)  

SP1 Service StatusParameter Name Value  

Status Connecting to 209.85.225.125  
PrimaryProxyServer  
SecondaryProxyServer  
CallState 0 Active Calls  

SP2 Service StatusParameter Name Value  

Status Connecting to 209.85.145.125  
PrimaryProxyServer  
SecondaryProxyServer  
CallState 0 Active Calls  

The third led (phone icon) is off, indicating the port is not enabled.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The two ip address (209.85.145.125 and 209.85.225.125) can't ping through, but when put into IE address bar, they easily lead to google talk.

Anything else I can try to fix the problem?

Thanks.

MIto

The DNS Server IP you should use the one from your internet provider instead of Google's DNS.

Stewart

Quote from: MIto on March 21, 2012, 09:00:44 PM
The DNS Server IP you should use the one from your internet provider instead of Google's DNS.
Why do you say that?

IMO, the OP's choice of both Level 3 and Google is better, because:

1. If a lookup fails, an ISP nameserver is likely to return the address of an adserver (which of course won't respond to SIP, XMPP or NTP), making troubleshooting more difficult.

2. The ISP servers are likely not accessible from other ISPs, so if the unit is taken elsewhere for testing or demonstration, it may not work.

3. The "easy" addresses 4.2.2.2 and 8.8.8.8 are IMO less likely to change than ISP server addresses.

4. The probability of both Level 3 and Google being down is exceedingly low.

MIto

I used to use the Google DNS and had a bad experience. After I changed it back to the ISP DNS, it doesn't bother me again.

Stewart

Quote from: MIto on March 22, 2012, 11:37:13 AM
I used to use the Google DNS and had a bad experience. After I changed it back to the ISP DNS, it doesn't bother me again.
Can you please be more specific?  Were you querying valid names or nonexistent ones?  What was the undesired result (no answer, wrong answer, advserver or other misleading answer)? Did you use a secondary, e.g. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4? Who is your ISP?  In your opinion, is it likely that they were intercepting your query and modifying the query or the result?

Though I've heard plenty of privacy gripes about Google DNS (or Google anything), this is the first I've heard of technical performance issues.  I was under the impression that its reliability was outstanding.

benb

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I might have solved the problem, let hope it remains that way,  :)

The problem might be some compatibility issue between my previous router (Zyxel) and OBi110. When I switch to a Netgear router, without changing any setting on the OBi side, everything seems to work just fine. Although both router function well in terms of supporting the computers and mobile devices in the house.

Weird...