News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID, doesn't show name.

Started by pug_ster, March 22, 2012, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pug_ster

Hi,

I just switched over from Vonage last week and using google voice now.  I noticed that when people called, I can see the incoming phone number, but not the name.  Is this supposed to work any more?  Thanks.

pc44

Hi pug_ster,

To my knowledge, Google Voice does not currently support or provide CNAM (Caller ID Name).  Only the telephone number is passed through.  Other VOIP providers offer CNAM but typically not free.  Some bundle it in a package price, and others bill you per call (i.e. per LIDB lookup).

Hope it helps,
pc44

J.B.

I had the same problem and I couldn't seem to get it fixed.

If you think you've followed all of the steps here and are still having a problem, you probably made the same mistake I did.

You need to uncheck X_SkipCallScreening in the Default column, then check the box in the Value column.

Rick

I don't know what J.B. is responding to, but GV doesn't pass caller name. 

MichiganTelephone

Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

garyhal

I successfully have Simon Telephonics registered as my SP2 and GV in SP1 is connected just as Michigan telephone advised (Great tutorial) however I still do not get caller name showing on incoming. Simon telephone advised me to turn off GV because it was still handling incoming but then I loose GV features. There  must be some config "switch" I missed. Can anyone advise.  I am using the Obi110.   

RonR

Quote from: garyhal on April 23, 2012, 08:34:58 AM
I successfully have Simon Telephonics registered as my SP2 and GV in SP1 is connected just as Michigan telephone advised (Great tutorial) however I still do not get caller name showing on incoming.

You don't want your Google Voice account configured on both the OBi's SP1 Service and the Simon Telephonics service at the same time.  If you have successfully configured Simon Telephonics with your Google Voice account and your OBi, remove your Google Voice account from the OBi and use it only through the Simon Telephonics account.

DrewMan

Quote from: RonR on April 23, 2012, 10:36:40 AM
Quote from: garyhal on April 23, 2012, 08:34:58 AM
I successfully have Simon Telephonics registered as my SP2 and GV in SP1 is connected just as Michigan telephone advised (Great tutorial) however I still do not get caller name showing on incoming.

You don't want your Google Voice account configured on both the OBi's SP1 Service and the Simon Telephonics service at the same time.  If you have successfully configured Simon Telephonics with your Google Voice account and your OBi, remove your Google Voice account from the OBi and use it only through the Simon Telephonics account.

Thanks RonR.  I, too, am having problems with incoming caller ID name passing.  I tried removing the Google Voice account from SP1 and putting Simon Telephonics credentials in SP1 (leaving SP2 Not Configured).  I can make outgoing calls but now incoming calls are not ring my hand set and are eventually going to GV mail.  I am using an OBI100.

Any thoughts are appreciated.