News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI110 Failure

Started by chris18202, March 24, 2012, 07:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris18202

Has anyone else had an issue with their OBI110 failing after only 2 weeks of use? I'm hoping that I just got a defective unit and this isn't something that's common. What's the life expectancy out of these units? How long have some of you had your units?

Thanks,

Chris

carl

I have my unit for like 5 months without any problems. What I hear however that the power supply adaptor is iffy. The 90 days warranty is not convicing, to say it nicely.
If you have a problem check the rest of your equipment incl. the broadband service first.
I bothered the Obi customer service for no good reason because I checked everything except my expensive Plantronics phone which happened to go bad!

chris18202

Yeah it was the power supply adapter. I found an old 12 volt adapter and tried plugging that in and it works fine now.

Here's the information I have on the power adapter that shipped with the OBI110 that went bad in case others have issues.

SWITCHING ADAPTER
Model: SJ-1210-U
P/N: 120100
input: 100V-240V ~ .6A 50/60Hz
Output: +12V=1A Max
Manufacturer: Shenzhen Shengii Mains Co.,LTD

MichiganTelephone

That particular company must supply a LOT of power adapters to various companies and while they are inexpensive, the failure rate is probably a little higher than we'd like to see.  I've seen other devices brought down by defective "wall wart" power supplies, so it's not an uncommon problem (and not just for VoIP device manufacturers).

This is one of those cases where you wish Chinese companies would pay a little more attention to quality control, instead of just trying to sell as many units as they can.  The problem is that in most cases the end user gets the device indirectly (bundled with something else such as an VoIP device or a router) and therefore it's either the customer or the seller of the bundled package that gets stuck with the bad units.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

preppystud

oh. yes, it happened to me, too. the adaptor just stopped working after about a year or so. i bought it with a credit card, so i am trying to file a claim for the extended warranty which was provided by the mastercard company.