News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I hook 56k modem and call dial-up internet provider?

Started by book, March 26, 2012, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

book

Well, would it work?

I have obi110 working fine with my phone.  I need a ISP that provides dynamic IP like DSL.  Well, Verizon is annoying me because they say you need to sign a 1-year contract,

anyway, if I got a USB 56k modem, it would have a dial tone, right?  then I call a dial up provider with the modem (yes, they do still exist).

I am connected to internet using dial-up?  Any problems with this?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:  There would still be a high-speed cable connection connected to the Obi110.

RonR

If you're wanting to connect a dialup modem through a voice service provider using an OBi, it's likely to be problematic.  Data, Fax, Alarm, etc. modems don't usually work well over VoIP type services.

RevKev

I'm confused. What are you trying to do? Why do you need a dial-up when you have high-speed cable? What are you hooking the 56k modem to?

book

RevKev

you are right, it is a bit odd.  I really just wanted the benefits of an ISP that changes your IP every time you connect like a DSL or a dial-up modem would give you, but cable does not.  In my scenario, my normal and computer and devices would be hooked up to the cable internet (as well as the OBi) but I would have a separate computer that is not connected to the cable internet but is instead calling a dial up ISP through Obi's dialtone.

In the end, I made a deal with Verizon, thanks for the input all..  I am still curious about this and I want to try it someday, but just for fun when the results won't matter.   :P

book

If I did want to try to use a modem or fax with the Obi110, what setting would I change?

I understand that it might not work and I am just doing this for fun.

kf7kip

Well if you are looking to change IP and do not mind a speed loss you could use TOR it is SLOW tho
www.torproject.org/
but I still think it would be faster then 56k

Stewart

If your router has MAC address cloning (most do), change the MAC address, then reboot router and power cycle the cable modem.  You should get a new public IP address.