News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trying to understand how this can work for me....

Started by Wilbour, March 29, 2012, 09:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilbour

I am in the process of purchasing an OBI110 and want to be able to use this device as seamlessly as possible. From what I have read, the factory default it when the PSTN is used it uses the old phone system (good). If I wish to make a long distance call I have to enter **1 or something like that before dialling the long distance number. I have seen posts talking about setting up the system so that OBI recognizes a long distance number and automatically uses Google Voice. The set-up did not seem to list this. Did I miss something or do you have to make this change somewhere else within the system. Bear in mind I have yet to receive the box so all I know is what I have read or seen on tutorials.

Felix

Setting up the way you want it is usually easier than you think  ;) And you are stuck, you can usually count on RonR and other experts to offer a helping hand.

In your description it is not quite clear how do you define "long distance number". Is it "starts with 1"? OBI will not go to your Telco's billing database and query whether 7-digit number is free or "local toll". And even this last sentence assumes that you are in US. I thought of various dial plans for my dad, but ended up that all his 1- calls go through Google Voice (no benefit of PSTN line that I can think of)... your mileage may vary!