News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GOOGLE Voice connected, but...no calls in or out!

Started by jerryinforum, April 01, 2012, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryinforum

I actually registered and got this connected--and working--a couple months ago, then unplugged it when I saw it "conflicted" with my grooveIP.

GrooveIP hasn't worked for me for months, so I'm back to trying the OBI 100.  I've replugged it in--power, phone, ethernet--logged on again, confirmed that "Google Voice account  Connected", and initiated a call from within Gmail to Chat, made sure Google voice is forwarded to Google Chat with a checkmark.

But...nothing.  When I try outbound, I get a message "There is no service...", and when I had my son call me from another phone, no ringing and nothing but a dial tone when I pick up.  There is no landline.

Should I start over from scratch?  All of my info was properly there when I logged in (after my 2 month hiatus) and it DOES say I'm connected.  What's the problem?

EDIT:  I have turned off my GrooveIP, but now I'm reading on this site that I have to entirely remove the application?  Is that true?

RonR

Try the following:

1. Log into the OBiTALK Web Portal and delete your OBi from the Dashboard (do not re-add it).

2. Using a paperclip through the hole in the bottom of the unit with a circle around it, depress the reset switch and hold it for at least 30 seconds to reset the unit back to factory defaults.

3. Log into the OBi at the IP address returned by dialing ***1 (username/password = admin/admin).

4. Configure the OBi with the following settings, making sure you click on Submit at the bottom of any page you've made changes to before leaving that page.  When all changes have been made, click Reboot in the upper right corner.

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> Name : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> SignalingProtocol : Google Voice
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

where aaa is your local area code.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthUserName : (Google Voice username)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> AuthPassword : (Google Voice password)
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_SkipCallScreening : (checked)

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

jerryinforum

Ok, I'll try this.  Thanks for the quick response.

jerryinforum

Wait:  How the heck do I dial this on a phone?:  ***1 (username/password = admin/admin)

RonR

You dial ***1 to get the LAN IP address of your OBi.  If you already know it, you don't need to do this step.

Then you browse to http://192.168.1.123 (assuming 192.168.1.123 is your OBi's LAN IP address).

Then you log in with a username of admin and a password of admin.

jerryinforum

Dialing ***1 just got me a dial tone.

Is googling "what is my ip" the same thing?  I DID get that number

jerryinforum

Wait, no ok.  I got the # over the phone.  I'll try with that...

jerryinforum

Nowhere on the System Management>Auto Provisioning page, do I see either an ITSP Provision, nor an OBiTALK Provisioning...

I'm also anticipating that I will not understand your line where you've listed something above the line "...where aaa is your local area code".  On the digit map, is all I have to do is put in 402 (my area code) where the aaa is?  That's the only change there?

RonR

Quote from: jerryinforum on April 01, 2012, 10:46:21 AM
Nowhere on the System Management>Auto Provisioning page, do I see either an ITSP Provision, nor an OBiTALK Provisioning...

Then your OBi has terribly outdated firmware.  Update the firmware in your OBi before proceeding.

Download the latest firmware HERE.

Then go to:

System Management -> Device Update -> Firmware Update

to load it into the OBi.

Quote from: jerryinforum on April 01, 2012, 10:46:21 AM
I'm also anticipating that I will not understand your line where you've listed something above the line "...where aaa is your local area code".  On the digit map, is all I have to do is put in 402 (my area code) where the aaa is?  That's the only change there?

Yes:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<1402>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|1xxxxxxxxxx|011xx.)

jerryinforum

Ok, I've done all that now.

Do I now "start from scratch" and reregister the "device" that I deleted?

(And thank you SO MUCH for walking me through this!)

RonR

Quote from: jerryinforum on April 01, 2012, 11:13:41 AM
Do I now "start from scratch" and reregister the "device" that I deleted?

No, your OBi should be fully operational with Google Voice at this point.

jerryinforum

And you are absolutely correct.  Incomeing and outgoing both working perfectly.

THANKS A MILLION!!

Jerry

RonR

If you now go to:

System Management -> Device Update -> Backup Configuration (check : Use OBi Version)

and backup your current configuration, you can restore it quickly and easily using:

System Management -> Device Update -> Restore Configuration

if you ever need to do so in the future.

Note: Passwords and PINs are not saved in the backup file, so they will need to be manually re-entered.

MichiganTelephone

jerryinforum, I know you are happy with the way things are working now, but you have been given some very questionable advice, particularly since you are a new user.  Please see my post at:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2866.msg18878#msg18878

The main thing I disagree with is this:

QuoteSystem Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

By doing this you lose the ability to use the OBiTALK portal, and the many benefits thereof.  The guy you are taking advice from has a personal bias of some kind against using the portal, and while that's his right on his own devices, I do not see where he gets off telling a new user such as yourself that you should do this, without bothering to explain that you are giving up a lot of functionality by disabling OBiTALK provisioning.

Just because someone tells you to do something in this forum doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, even if they apparently have nothing better to do than post messages on forums all day long.

(Now you will probably hear from two or three people that are his "amen chorus" and think he can do no wrong, but just remember, it's YOUR device, and you might not want to give up functionality that you paid good money for just because someone else doesn't happen to like it).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

jerryinforum

Well, here's the deal, though: 

This is the only guy that took the trouble to help me.  He did it super-fast, and he did get me up and running.

No one else took the trouble.  Even your post here, while perhaps well-intentioned, isn't particularly "helpful" in the sense that you've made no explanation as to why I would want to enable this mysterious "portal" you are talking about.

I am up and running.  If I've made some kind of mistake in how I've handled this...I'd certainly listen to further advice.  You have not really provided any...

In the meantime, I'll take a look at the thread you've linked me to and take it with a grain of salt.

MichiganTelephone

I doubt he was the ONLY person willing to help you, he was just the first, and the reason he was so "super-fast" is because he practically LIVES on this forum dispensing his brand of "helpful" advice and building his little cult of devotees.  Seriously, he monopolizes the forum and gives no one else the chance to help anyone before he chimes in, which in and of itself might not be such a bad thing (after all, help is help, and as a new user you probably don't care who gives it as long as it solves your issue) except that he keeps instructing new users to disable OBiTALK provisioning, which in turn deprives them of the ability to use the OBiTALK portal.

But the funny part is, when given an opportunity to explain WHY he dislikes the portal so much, he remains silent:

Pros and Cons of using OBiTALK Provisioning and OBiTALK portal for configuration

I'm not saying you made a mistake, I just wanted you to be aware that normally it's not a good idea for a new user to disable OBiTALK provisioning.  I may add my reasons to the post linked above in a few days but I wanted to give others the chance to have their say first (including the guy who helped you, if he actually has any reasons he can articulate other than "this is how I choose to do it and everyone else should do what I do.").

And yes, please do take anything I say with several grains of salt.  You may decide that you'd prefer to configure your device manually, and that's fine, it's YOUR device, not mine, and not that of the guy who jumped in and helped you.  But keep in mind that just because someone is first to respond does not necessarily mean they are giving you the best advice, but by jumping in first, they may discourage others from attempting to help.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.