News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

India Rates

Started by Hortoristic, April 03, 2012, 01:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

I was searching for best rates to call India and Voxbeam has great rates for like .0075 min.  However; Voxbeam authenticates on your ISP modem's IP and there is no automatic way to update it in cases where Comcast changes your IP.  

Anyone else know of another voip provider with great rates to India that don't use modem IP to authenticate?

I suggested to them they use domain name so our routers could keep things in sync but they don't seem to have anything great in the works yet.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to switch to Comcast Business customer just to get static IP just so Voxbeam stays connected.

pc44

Quote from: Hortoristic on April 03, 2012, 01:22:40 PMAnyone else know of another voip provider with great rates to India that don't use modem IP to authenticate?

Hi Hortoristic,

Have you checked into Vonage's flat rate unlimited calling to India plans?  If your call usage is minimal, then this is not a good idea.  It's like $26/month plus tax w/1 year plan.  But I thought I'd just mention in case you had not already checked into it. :)

pc44

Hortoristic

That's really expensive actually.  By the time they add on all their taxes - your at like $35

a140

I have had Vonage for a while now and earlier poster is correct - it is almost $35. I am canceling it this week.

Here's how I use my OBI110 as my new home phone and international calling service
1. Set up free Google Voice number (who doesn't have it already!)
2. Configure Google Voice to work with OBI110 (takes les than 5 minutes - instructions are everywhere)
3. Buy $10 credits from Google Voice (this gives you 500 minute talktime to anywhere in India, including Mobiles)
4. Call from home phone connected to OBI110 OR OBIon app on iPhone (iPhone app doesn't use your cell minutes and works flawlessly on WIFI)

Hortoristic

Google Voice is .02 a min - Voxbeam is about  .0075 a min. So $10 will get you 500 google minutes or 1,333 Voxbeam min

pc44

Quote from: Hortoristic on April 04, 2012, 01:46:54 PM
Google Voice is .02 a min - Voxbeam is about  .0075 a min. So $10 will get you 500 google minutes or 1,333 Voxbeam min

Oh, I see...  .0075 / min.  Your first post said .075 / min.  At that rate, I believe anything beyond 467 minutes of monthly usage would have made Vonage cheaper.  Now it makes sense.

Hortoristic

Vonage can't seem to touch these other providers - but Vonage is easy plug and play

MNaqvi

Quote from: Hortoristic on April 03, 2012, 01:22:40 PM
I was searching for best rates to call India and Voxbeam has great rates for like .0075 min.  

Where did you get these rates? I see ~.012 USD.

Hortoristic

Sorry, you are right - was using old price sheet.