News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Only One Ring, Then Nothing...

Started by radiocycle, April 05, 2012, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiocycle

Hi All,

I'm using an OBi110 and Google Voice and for the most part it works great!  But I notice now that I can't use it for 800 #s.  When I try and call an 800 number it always just rings once, then it just goes silent.  I've tried many times with other 800 numbers and its always the same result.

And one other problem is that the number that others see when I call them is one that I don't recognize.  How can I change, or eliminate, that bogus phone number that shows up on the receiving end? ???

Thanks for any replies,

radio

RonR

If you can successfully call non-tollfree numbers through Google Voice, then the problem with calling tollfree numbers is likely with Google Voice and not your OBi.

You might want to consider setting up an Alternative Tollfree Provider.

Google Voice is the one who controls the CallerID on outgoing calls.  It's normally the incoming number you chose when you created the Google Voice account and it cannot be changed.  If you didn't choose an incoming number, your outgoing CallerID will be 760-705-8888 and it cannot be changed (other than by activating an incoming number).

jimates

Did you set up a google voice account, get a phone number, and link it to your gmail account, or did you only set up gmail for calling?

radiocycle

I already had a gmail account so I think I linked it...

r

jimates

are the log in credentials for the google voice account and the gmail account the same?

jimates

from your gmail page at the top

more -> even more -> Home & Office -> Voice

should take you to your google voice page. If it doesn't then they aren't linked.

RonR

jimates,

Did you overlook the fact that the radiocycle is able to make outgoing calls?:

Quote from: radiocycle on April 05, 2012, 04:30:24 PM
I'm using an OBi110 and Google Voice and for the most part it works great!

And one other problem is that the number that others see when I call them...

jimates

Quote from: RonR on April 05, 2012, 06:01:41 PM
jimates,

Did you overlook the fact that the radiocycle is able to make outgoing calls?:

Quote from: radiocycle on April 05, 2012, 04:30:24 PM
I'm using an OBi110 and Google Voice and for the most part it works great!

And one other problem is that the number that others see when I call them...

No, you can have gmail set up for calling and make calls from the Obi because it uses gmail. That has nothing to do with a google voice account. And would also account for the "number I don't recognize".

jimates

If I try to place a call to an 800 number from gmail I get a fail message about a google server problem. But I can call from my home using the same account.

When it comes to the Obi, some may not realize that the Obi/gmail is not the same as google voice. Although they can be linked to work together.