News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How Do I Set Up A Second GV Number For My Wife's Phone

Started by Motoman, April 09, 2012, 10:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motoman

Second noob question: I have an Obi110 set up for my GV number as SP1. I know I can set up my wife's GV number as SP2.  But what I want is for someone to be able to call my wife's GV number and have it ring only to her iPhone, not mine or at the house. Can SP1 and SP2 ring to two different iPhones? If so, how?

RonR

To have SP1 ring both the OBi PHONE Port and an OBiON App:

Voice Services -> SP1 Services -> X_InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob290123456)}

where 290123456 is the OBiON App OBiTALK number to ring.

To have SP2 ring only an OBiON App:

Voice Services -> SP2 Services -> X_InboundCallRoute : {pp(ob290123456)}

where 290123456 is the OBiON App OBiTALK number to ring.

Everton

Maybe I'm interpreting your request incorrectly, but what you requesting can simply be setup on GV Portal by un-checking the Google Chat and checking your Wife's iPhone Cell Number as the "forwarding to" phone.  No need to have the OBi110 involve at all, unless you want to place outgoing GV calls using your wife's GV Number as the CallerID!

Edit:  I just read you other post, so disregard what I said above!

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 10:41:49 AM
Second noob question: I have an Obi110 set up for my GV number as SP1. I know I can set up my wife's GV number as SP2.  But what I want is for someone to be able to call my wife's GV number and have it ring only to her iPhone, not mine or at the house. Can SP1 and SP2 ring to two different iPhones? If so, how?

Motoman

Thanks again! Reviewing your many posts, you really have the Obi110 wired!  I'll try it.  I assume that Voice Services are accessed through the "expert" configuration menu.

RonR

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 12:04:06 PM
I assume that Voice Services are accessed through the "expert" configuration menu.

That's one way.

Be aware that if you use *72 as we've been discussing in another thread, your wife's calls will also be forwarded to the your OBiON App as well.

You could define a new Star Code to only forward only your SP1 calls.

Motoman

Darn.  The *72 was simple. So, How do I define a new star code? 
Could also just change the configuration you listed below and remove the "ph" from SP1 and then put it back when I return to the USA

RonR

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 02:10:56 PM
Darn.  The *72 was simple. So, How do I define a new star code? 

Obihai only left us one spare Star Code slot, so there's no room for an enable and disable pair.  You'd have to modify *72 from it's current meaning so that you could cancel it with *73.

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 02:10:56 PM
Could also just change the configuration you listed below and remove the "ph" from SP1 and then put it back when I return to the USA

That's what I would do.

Motoman

I tried to edit the *72 code in Star Code Var A, as show in the Admin Guide.  I couldn't edit it. Am I doing something wrong?  Also, when I loaded Obion on my wife's iPhone, and then logged into the Obi using my login, it assigned her the same softphone number as on my iPhone. Then I signed her up for a new ObiTalk account, but it is not linked to mine.  Sorry to be so stupid . . . I am usually pretty tech savvy, but I don't know my way around VOIP . . .  How do I get her softphone listed on my ObiTalk?  Her cell phone is already in my "Circle of Trust"

RonR

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 02:56:33 PM
I tried to edit the *72 code in Star Code Var A, as show in the Admin Guide.  I couldn't edit it. Am I doing something wrong?

If you're using the OBiTALK Web Portal, see OBi Expert Configuration (Introduction).

Also, when I loaded Obion on my wife's iPhone, and then logged into the Obi using my login, it assigned her the same softphone number as on my iPhone. Then I signed her up for a new ObiTalk account, but it is not linked to mine.

I don't believe there is any way (or need) to link her OBiON account to your OBi account.  You have to manually edit the InboundCallRoute's to add the OBiON OBiTALK numbers for incoming calls to ring your cell phones.

Sorry to be so stupid . . . I am usually pretty tech savvy, but I don't know my way around VOIP . . .  How do I get her softphone listed on my ObiTalk?  Her cell phone is already in my "Circle of Trust"

I find the OBiTALK Web Portal much more complicated and cumbersome to use than simply configuring the OBi directly by logging into the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  Consequently, I never use the OBiTALK Web Portal.

There's also a much better mechanism to use than Circle-of-Trust:

Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk

If you should decide to configure the OBi directly (you MUST use one method or the other, not both), you must also set:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> ITSP Provisioning -> Method : Disabled
System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> OBiTALK Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

ot the OBiTALK Web Portal will overwrite any changes you make directly.

MichiganTelephone

Just so you know, RonR's view of the OBiTALK portal is probably a minority viewpoint.  There is an ongoing thread on the pros and cons (in which RonR has been strangely silent) here:

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2932.0

The one thing to remember about using the portal, is that if either of the checkboxes next to a setting are checked, you must uncheck them, submit the page, and then you can change the value.  I think perhaps this is a safety measure to keep people from accidentally making unintentional changes.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Motoman

I logged into the OBi directly and started to figure some of this out.  The next thing I am going to work on is spoofing my GV number to show my business number or at least my cell phone number.  Thanks RonR.  I have rebooted and will see if it worked!

RonR

Quote from: Motoman on April 09, 2012, 03:29:58 PM
The next thing I am going to work on is spoofing my GV number to show my business number or at least my cell phone number.

Google Voice does not allow spoofing.  The outgoing CallerID on a Google Voice account cannot be changed.

Motoman

RonR, thanks so much for your help.  It is amazing how versatile the OBi110 is. An incredible value for $45! especially when you look at MagicJack, for example.  Thanks for the info on Caller ID spoofing.  Won't waste my time!

MichiganTelephone, thanks for the tip on how to reset values using the Web Portal.  Now I have that issue under control.

jimates

Motoman,

There is a way to link multiple Obion numbers to one Obi as the default gateway.

I have 3 Obion numbers with one Obi110 as the default gateway. I haven't changed the configuration in some time but I assume it should still work.

You don't have to, but you may want to start over with the Obi not in any account yet. It just depends on whether you want it to end up in a particular account or not.

You already have 2 Obitalk accounts with different softphone numbers.
1 - Add the Obi to one account and set it as the default gateway for the softphone number.
2 - Delete the Obi from the account.
3 - Add the Obi to the second account and set it as the default gateway for the softphone number.

You will have 2 different Obion numbers with different log in credentials but both will use the same Obi as it's default gateway for all calls.

The advantage, for me, is that I have 2 smart phones and a laptop that can all place calls using the same GV account without any complex configuration. I can dial from all 3 as if I were dialing directly from the phone port, showing the same caller id for all outgoing calls from all 4 locations. I can also use the other services on my Obi by dialing the prefix for them the same as from the phone port.

The alternative is to use the single stage dialing configuration found on this forum, but I don't think you can dial the same as from the phone port because you have to direct the call to the Obi as part of the dialing sequence.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on April 09, 2012, 05:51:39 PM
The alternative is to use the single stage dialing configuration found on this forum, but I don't think you can dial the same as from the phone port because you have to direct the call to the Obi as part of the dialing sequence.

With a single OBi or calling through the OBiON App's Gateway OBi, dialing from an OBiON App is identical to dialing from the OBi PHONE Port.  Only if you have more than one OBi to address and the target OBi is not the OBiON App's Gateway OBi do you have to add n* in front of the dialed number in order to address that specific OBi.

jimates

Quote from: RonR on April 09, 2012, 06:06:30 PM

With a single OBi or calling through the OBiON App's Gateway OBi, dialing from an OBiON App is identical to dialing from the OBi PHONE Port.  Only if you have more than one OBi to address and the target OBi is not the OBiON App's Gateway OBi do you have to add n* in front of the dialed number in order to address that specific OBi.

Correct. My reference to the direct dial method was for use with multiple obion apps, as was my whole post.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on April 09, 2012, 07:18:40 PM

With a single OBi or calling through the OBiON App's Gateway OBi, dialing from an OBiON App is identical to dialing from the OBi PHONE Port.  Only if you have more than one OBi to address and the target OBi is not the OBiON App's Gateway OBi do you have to add n* in front of the dialed number in order to address that specific OBi.

Correct. My reference to the direct dial method was for use with multiple obion apps, as was my whole post.

Just to be clear, even with multiple OBiON Apps, dialing is the same from all of them and identical to dialing from the OBi PHONE Port unless a specific OBi other than the OBiON App's Gateway OBi is targetted.

jimates

Quote from: RonR

I don't believe there is any way (or need) to link her OBiON account to your OBi account.  You have to manually edit the InboundCallRoute's to add the OBiON OBiTALK numbers for incoming calls to ring your cell phones.

What I posted was pretty clear, for the situation at hand.

If you have 3 Obion apps and one Obi set as the default gateway for only one of them, dialing from 2 of those apps will be different from the other (doesn't absolutely have to be, but requires n* where one does not). And dialing from the phone port can only be identical to one of them. Unless you normally dial n* for every call from the phone port.

With a single OBi or calling through the OBiON App's Gateway OBi, dialing from an OBiON App is identical to dialing from the OBi PHONE Port. Only if you have more than one OBi to address and the target OBi is not the OBiON App's Gateway OBi do you have to add n* in front of the dialed number in order to address that specific OBi.

Your statement says with only one Obi you can have multiple apps all dialing the same way. This is true, all dialing the same way, but not dialing as if the Obi was the default. those apps will have to us n*, where as you don't have to do that from the phone port.

Normally the Obi will be the gateway for one app. This is configured by Obihai. The OP stated they were using an Obi as a default gateway, and asked how to register multiple softphone numbers on the same default gateway.

RonR

Quote from: jimates on April 10, 2012, 12:10:32 AM
Normally the Obi will be the gateway for one app. This is configured by Obihai. The OP stated they were using an Obi as a default gateway, and asked how to register multiple softphone numbers on the same default gateway.

All of your posts in this thread are simply pointing out a severe deficiency and limitation in the OBiTALK Web Portal, not some issue or problem with using Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk.

The OBiTALK Web Portal is constructed with the restriction that an OBi can only be associated with one account, and that each account can only have one OBiON App associated with it.  The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that OBiON Apps can only be configured through the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Users frequently want multiple OBiON Apps associated with a particular OBi, but as you described earlier, the only way to accomplish this is to repeatedly delete an OBi from the OBiTALK Web Portal and move it from OBiON App account to OBiON App account in order to set each OBiON App's Voice Gateway.  Each time you do so, however, you lose the OBi's configuration and must start all over.  This is less of a problem, but still a cumbersome task, if you have the foresight to create all the OBiON App accounts before you first configure the OBi.  It's a huge problem, however, if you wish to add OBiON Apps later, after you've made significant customizations using OBi Expert Configuration, since there's no way to save the current configuration and restore it using the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Once again, NOT using the OBiTALK Web Portal to configure an OBi is the easy way out.  If you're maintaining an OBi directly, it's a simple matter to:

1. Save the current configuration.

2. Temporarily add the OBi to an OBiON App account in order to set the OBiON App's Voice Gateway (destroying the OBi's current configuration in the process).

3. Delete the OBi from the OBiON App account.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as necessary.

5. Restore the saved configuration.

By NOT using the OBiTALK Web Portal to configure an OBi, you're assured that you won't lose its current configuration.

jimates

You can read whatever you want to from my posts. Everything has some deficiencies. We can't fix them so we learn to work around them.

How did this turn into a Obi deficiencies, portal/not portal discussion? Your process is exactly the same as I posted. How you maintain or regain your Obi's configuration is a different matter.

It was clear from the OP's post that they were using the portal and wanted multiple apps registered to the Obi. My process accomplished that. And it was evident, at least to me, that the OP probably didn't have a very complex configuration yet to worry about loosing.

I  have my settings backed up and also have them in text format in case anything happens. If I loose the whole thing it would not take very long to get it set back up exactly like it is. And I currently have several more, unused,  softphone numbers with my Obi as the default gateway in case I need to use more apps along the way.