News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI100 with GV no dial tone

Started by tonglu, April 15, 2012, 10:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonglu

I have used the OBI100 with GV for over 6 month and had little problem with it until yesterday I found that my phone lost dial tone with OBI100 and GV.  Logged online and updated firmware, but still no luck. After reading this forum, I found that it seems that no one had the same symptom like mine.

On the device, the power led and phone led are still green, and the internet led is blinking green.  Online status shows that the device is connected.  My internet connection is okay and I have rebooted my router and powered off and reset (only pushed it for a click, did not hold it for very long) my OBI100 more than once.  

I still don't have a ring tone, and all the commands like ***2 are not working.  Please help.  Thanks!

RonR

Quote from: tonglu on April 15, 2012, 10:00:59 AM
I have used the OBI100 with GV for over 6 month and had little problem with it until yesterday I found that my phone lost ring tone with OBI100 and GV.

Do you mean the OBi PHONE Port does not ring on incoming calls?  If so, can you answer them by picking up the phone even though it's not ringing?  Can you still make outgoing calls?

Quote from: tonglu on April 15, 2012, 10:00:59 AM
I still don't have a ring tone, and all the commands like ***2 are not working.

What happens when you dial ***2?

tonglu

Thanks for the reply.

If I try to make a call from the phone connected to OBI100, I don't hear dial tone and the call won't go out.  If I call the GV number linked to the OBI100, the home phone never rings and it just goes to GV voice mail.  My "smart" Panasonic cordless phone actually displays "Check tel line".  Dialing ***2 receives no response. 

I have done a hard reset by using a pin to hold the reset for 15 seconds or so and saw the red led came on before I released the pin.  Now the power led is green, and the internet led is flashing, and the phone port led is not on at all. 

I will try to go through the configuration and report back here shortly. 

tonglu

oh, forgot to mention, now the online status shows "online-unmanaged" for the device. 

tonglu

just modified the first post. I meant dial tone, not ring tone.  Sorry for the confusion.

jimates

Your Obi is either not connected to the internet, or no service is configured on the primary line.

"check tel line" from the phone means that there is no active phone service being received to it.

to clear the "unmanaged" state you may have to remove it from the Obitalk account and add it back in. Hopefully there is no complex configuration because is will be lost.

have you tried; changing the ethernet cable, try another port on the router.

RonR

Quote from: tonglu on April 15, 2012, 04:42:12 PM
If I try to make a call from the phone connected to OBI100, I don't hear dial tone and the call won't go out. 

An OBi that's totally unconfigured at factory defaults with nothing but a telephone set connected to the PHONE Port should have dialtone and be able to reach the Auto Attendant by dialing **0 or the Configuration Menu by dialing ***.  You don't need anything but power and telephone.  Make sure the telephone set and cord are operational and it's plugged into the PHONE Port and not the LINE Port.

jimates

Quote from: jimates
"check tel line" from the phone means that there is no active phone service being received to it.
either the power to the phones base is not connected.
phone cord from phone base to Obi is not connected or bad connection.
Phone handset is not communicating with the base.

tonglu

I would guess that the OBI100 device I have is dead with all the things I have tested since my last post.

I have tried new cat 5 cable to a new port on my router, not luck.

I have bought a new $10 cheap phone from wal-mart and used it on OBI100, no luck. 

Changed different phone cords, no luck.

Combination of the things above, no luck.

I have tried both my Panasonic cordless phone and the new cheap phone at my neighbor's house with his land line, both worked fine, and I did use my phone cord.  My cordless phone's power supply had no problem.

Still no dial tone.

tonglu

Also, after the hard reset with a pin, I have deleted the device from my online account at obitalk.com, but now I can't add it back because that I have no dial tone.  

Thanks!

jimates

try one more reset process

unplug the power
press the reset button with a paper clip
while holding the reset button reconnect the power
hold the reset until the unit reboots, 20+ seconds.

if you don't get a dial tone after that then the unit must be bad.

tonglu

Thanks for the tip.  I will give it a try and report back shortly. 

tonglu

I went through the reset according the instruction twice, and no luck.  I guess that I am just unlucky to have a bad unit.

I checked my order history on amazon and found that I actually bought it in August last year so I have used it near 8 months now.  Not sure if I still can use the warranty or not.

RonR

Quote from: tonglu on April 15, 2012, 07:48:11 PM
I checked my order history on amazon and found that I actually bought it in August last year so I have used it near 8 months now.  Not sure if I still can use the warranty or not.

From the OBi Device Administration Guide:

Warranty : 1-Year Hardware (Limited)

tonglu

I have opened a support ticket through the website. 

Thanks so much RonR and jimates!  I want to say that it has really been a great pleasure to communicate with both of you! 

tonglu

Just a quick update.  I have received the replacement and everything is working.  I will need to mail the old one back.  Thumbs up, OBI.