News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GV charges to call USA from out of country?

Started by Hortoristic, April 17, 2012, 03:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortoristic

We were setting up a family member in India with an OBI device with GV on SP1 so they could call other family members in USA and Canada. 

I'm seeing some sort of notice on Google Voice web site that they are charging .01 a min to call USA wiht GV from out of Country.  Are they really doing that or am I mis-reading it?

Stewart

I am presently in Thailand and have two GV accounts.  With the first, set up from the US back when an invite was required, I can make free calls to US/Canada.  On the other, set up a few months ago (probably from outside the US, though I don't remember where), US calls cost $0.01/min.  If I connect through a US VPN server, those calls are free.

Sorry, I don't know whether the difference between the accounts is related to when or where they were set up, or some other factor.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: Hortoristic on April 17, 2012, 03:42:40 PM
We were setting up a family member in India with an OBI device with GV on SP1 so they could call other family members in USA and Canada. 

I'm seeing some sort of notice on Google Voice web site that they are charging .01 a min to call USA wiht GV from out of Country.  Are they really doing that or am I mis-reading it?

If you can't set up the Google Voice account from inside the USA (meaning you'd need to create a new Google Voice account with a new number, since the other one is already marked as "out of country") then you may be able to get around the problem by using an intermediate server in the United States.  See How to use the Simon Telephonics Google Voice gateway with an Obihai device to provide Caller ID Name on incoming Google Voice calls for one example — although it's not exactly the intended purpose, using that server (or any other PBX server in the USA) as an intermediary would probably conceal from Google Voice that you're outside the USA.

Alternately, if you don't have someone in the USA that can create a new Google Voice account for you then you may be able to pretend to be be in the USA temporarily by routing your web connection during the setup process via a proxy server here (the same way you might watch a video from a US site that normally blocks connections from outside the USA).
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.