News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Multiple device setup - only one device rings

Started by R7tt, April 22, 2012, 11:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R7tt

Hello.

I have setup OBi100 with GV in sp1 and SIP in sp2. Everything works well except that any incoming call to sp2 will only ring the phone connected to OBi for incoming calls. Since I have a SIP hardware phone associated with the SIP account, I want it to ring as well so that I can use OBi at my business and the SIP phone at my residence. The strange part if that if I delete sp2 info from OBi, the SIP hardware phone will ring without problem. But once I add SIP info into OBi, it will not ring for incoming calls. Interestingly, I do not experience any problem making an outbound call using the SIP hardware phone. It just wouldn't ring for incoming calls. Any ideas?

TIA.

RonR

If you're wanting the OBi to ring your SIP phone in addition to its PHONE Port, set:

Voice Services -> SP2 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : ...,{ph,sp2(userid@ip_address:port)}

where userid, ip_address, and port are those of your SIP phone.

You SIP phone must be configured to answer calls without registration.

Stewart

Many (most?) SIP providers do not support multiple registrations with the same credentials.  So, if the OBi and IP phone are registering with the same ID and password, an incoming call will ring whichever device sent the last REGISTER request.  Since the OBi is pretty aggressive about that, it's likely to be the OBi.

The fix suggested by RonR will work fine, though if the IP phone is behind a NAT, you'll likely need to forward ports and may have a compatibility issue with some routers.  If its public IP address is not static, you'll need to set up dynamic DNS.  Or, if you have a full-time VPN connection between home and office, you could use that.

IMO, there is probably a better solution that depends on the specifics.  What is the make and model of your IP phone?  Who is your SIP provider?