News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBITALK takes down my network!

Started by Ravishal, April 26, 2012, 05:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravishal

I was swapping out the telephone I use with my Obitalk 110 when I immediately noticed the status light turn red. Simultaneously the internet connection died in my house. I naturally assumed it was the modem and rebooted that. Nope, Rebooted the router. Still did not fix it. I then disconnected the Obitalk and boom, the network was back up. I plugged it back in and the internet went down again and the light stayed red. I disconnected the Obitalk and of course the internet came back. Not seeing a reset button on the Obitalk I disconnected the power for 5 minutes and then powered it back up. The light turned green and the network stayed up.

Would simply unplugging a phone connected to an Obitalk mess up the Obi which in turn messed up the router? Seems to be the case for me.

MichiganTelephone

Under normal circumstances, unplugging a phone would have no effect on your network connection, but there is always the slight possibility that you had a charge of static electricity built up when you were disconnecting your phone and it somehow jumped to your device, somehow causing a cascading failure.  This would be a rare occurrence but not entirely impossible, and could happen if you had a high static charge when touching any piece of networked equipment.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Ravishal

That certainly seems plausible. It pays to take heed of the advice to unplug the power adapter from the socket when disconnecting a device that has no on/off switch.