News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

RTP KeepAliveInterval not applied for silence suppression

Started by AndyJ, May 11, 2012, 12:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJ

I've opened a support ticket for this (and I'm waiting to hear back), but thought I'd bring it up here also...

On the OBi110, the RTP KeepAliveInterval is not applied in the case of silence suppression. If silence suppression is enabled for a codec, and there is an extended period of silence, then a RTP packet should be sent to keep the channel alive if KeepAliveInterval is enabled. Otherwise, the ITSP may disconnect the call since no RTP packets have been received. [An obvious workaround is to disable silence suppression, but since silence suppression works fine otherwise, it would be nice to have this fixed.]

AndyJ

Support got back to me and said they'd look into it, so hopefully there will be a forthcoming fix. In the meantime, I'll just have to remember to make some noise every 5 minutes so the provider doesn't terminate the call when there is total silence  :)

pc44

Hi AndyJ,

Just saw your thread and am wondering if this is related at all to the other currently-active thread "pause/silence with google voice"?

Thanks for posting your experience and for the update about the response from Obihai Support.  I am curious to see if this helps others with call pause/silence problem.  Thanks for your observations.

pc44

AndyJ

Quote from: pc44 on May 17, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
Just saw your thread and am wondering if this is related at all to the other currently-active thread "pause/silence with google voice"?

That looks like something totally different. In that case, the audio is dropping out (there is unwanted/unexpected silence). In my case there is wanted/expected silence, but the ITSP eventually disconnects the call due to the silence (from no RTP keep-alive packets being transmitted by the OBi).

Quote from: pc44 on May 17, 2012, 06:54:57 PM
Thanks for posting your experience and for the update about the response from Obihai Support.  I am curious to see if this helps others with call pause/silence problem.  Thanks for your observations.

I'm hopeful that they will do something about the report, and it doesn't just land up in the bit bucket  :)

pc44

Quote from: AndyJ on May 18, 2012, 09:49:28 AMThat looks like something totally different. In that case, the audio is dropping out (there is unwanted/unexpected silence). In my case there is wanted/expected silence, but the ITSP eventually disconnects the call due to the silence (from no RTP keep-alive packets being transmitted by the OBi).

Ah I see... both dealing with silence but completely the opposite situations!  I was so close and yet so far away. :D

pc44