News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

ObiWifi question. 5Ghz?

Started by Ostracus, May 18, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostracus

Well since I can't reply to the Obiwifi announcement. Does it use the 5Ghz band? Second, perfect timing guys. I just hooked up Powerline to my Obi. Third can one use the mass storage capability and this adapter at the same time?

Felix

How would one use both the adapter and storage? through USB hub?

You are obviously more enthusiastic about this adapter... Amazon says that I save $25 (compared with list price of $50) and I say that I overpay $15 (compared with standard wireless USB adapter like this one for $10).

Ostracus

If it's 5Ghz, then it will be a little more than just a 2.4 Ghz. Second in a situation were wired isn't as much an option, one has to consider what are the other choices, and their cost? Wireless? We first of all don't know if other USB adapters will work, making moot the cost differential compared to others? And the other is power-line, which costs quite a bit more than  $10 (but does have advantages over wireless).

Trev

Quote from: Ostracus on May 18, 2012, 07:46:05 PM
Does it use the 5Ghz band?

As far as I can tell, it supports 2.4 GHz only.
In Canada and looking for an OBi?
https://www.acrovoice.ca/obistore/

mrjoe

Do the Generic ones work?
Has anyone tried.

Maybe the driver is built in to the Obi202 rather than the dongle.

Clive

I don't reccommend using voip over powerline as I have experienced very mixed results, mainly poor but it does work; sometimes.
I am in Spain and that may be the issue - the way the electrics are thrown together - so you might be OK.

QBZappy

Quote from: Clive on July 18, 2012, 03:42:28 PM
I am in Spain and that may be the issue - the way the electrics are thrown together - so you might be OK.

Oh what luck. :D

There have been a few people asking for settings in Spain. I don't know what differences there may be. If you could show a working configuration (especially the Physical Interfaces settings) I think you will forever be memorialized in the OBi forum as the contributor from Spain. Start a new thread just for your country.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Technically I'm using VoIP over powerline right now. The distance relatively speaking is short so I get good numbers.

BTW speaking of numbers. I wonder if all those numbers one gets on the status page during a call can be used for diagnostics?