News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Problems with OBI

Started by Dogzipp, May 24, 2012, 11:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogzipp

I started having some problems lately with my OBI.

Every call I made, I am unable to hear people. Yet they hear me perfectly.

It worked fine for months, and all of a sudden this started happening. I even moved by OBI to my DMZ, to see if it was a NAT problem, but the problems still persist.

Any ideas what could be happening or how to solve it? DO I need a new box?

Everton

If you temporarily connect the OB directly to your Modem, bypassing your router, does the problem still persist?  BTW, you need to describe your setup when requesting help (Cable Modem, Router, DSL, Modem/Router Combo, etc.) so we don't have to ask a bunch of questions to diagnose the problem.

MichiganTelephone

I hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried a different phone?  Could be the phone microphone is bad.

If you get the same result with a different phone, try dialing **9 222 222 222 and see if you can hear your own voice echoed back.  If so, that indicates you are not having this issue when using the OBiTALK network, which may (or may not) be useful information.

If all else fails I'd e-mail support@obihai.com and ask if they might be able to help you diagnose the problem.  Be sure to include your OBiTALK number (from the bottom of your device), and it wouldn't hurt to mention the result of the above tests, as well as the other things you've tried to resolve the problem.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Dogzipp

Sorry. The Obi is connected directly to the ADSL modem. Tried several things, this is what I have found:

If somebody calls me, we can talk both ways.
If I call the same person, we can only hear me. I cannot hear anything from him.

Tried between 3 users, all using the same voip provider.

I also tried calling between the obi numbers (inside the obitalk network) and it seems to work fine.

Strangely the problem only happens with me, and not between the other two parties

RFord

What happens when you place an outgoing call to a regular POTS Line or a Mobile phone?  Are you using GV or some other VOIP Provider?  I assume the ADSL Modem is also a Router.  What happens when you forward the appropriate ports on the Router to your OBi device?  I would contact OBi support for further trouble shooting.

MichiganTelephone

ADSL modems often DO contain a router, though that's not always obvious to users.  I'm wondering if your broadband provider may have pushed a firmware update to your router and it's screwing something up.

You said your Obihai device was plugged into the ADSL modem directly, which is good, but if you can access the router configuration in the DSL modem (not your separate external router, assuming you have one), can you try temporarily putting your device in the DMZ?

I'll again suggest that you contact support@obihai.com but in addition to the information I said you should provide in the previous post, I'd also mention the manufacturer and model number of your ADSL modem, and your broadband provider's name.  Chances are that if your provider did push bad firmware, customer support has already encountered this issue and may have a fix or workaround.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

Dogzipp

Even setup as DMZ it gave problems. Took it to the neighbords Internet connection, and worked fine.

Not sure what the problem could be, DMZ is supposed to forward everything to the OBI. Guess I'll email support...