News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Outgoing Callcentric CID# when calls are placed through GV with the OBI100

Started by avibp, May 31, 2012, 09:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

avibp

I want to use my Callcentric CID# when calls are placed through GV VIA my OBI100 device.

Callcentric Number 1-ABC-xxx-xxxx
Google voice number 1-XYZ-xxx-xxxx

My CallCentric account has 500 outgoing minutes monthly and that limiting aspect can be eliminated by using my GV unlimited for US/Canada account if I can get my OBI100 device to use the ABC (Callcentric) number while using the XYZ (GV) service to place the call.

However, I don't want to confuse my Credit cards, Utilities, friends and family by calling from an obscure telephone number rather than my old ABC number.

"Search" and "Search the forum" are obtuse suggestions.

pc44

Hi avibp,

My understanding is that Google Voice neither allows nor supports Caller ID spoofing.  So, the simple answer is no, you cannot place an outgoing call using the GV service while expecting your Callcentric Tel. Number to be displayed on the recipient's end.  That's the simple answer as I know it.

Is porting your Callcentric number to GV an option for you?  You could get a new number for your Callcentric account, and then forward all incoming GV calls to your Callcentric line if you so desired.  Then, on outgoing calls, you could use GV and your recipients would see the same old number that you have been using.  Just a thought :-\

pc44

avibp

Thank you pc44!

Porting from CC to GV is not an option for me unfortunately, but I hope it becomes available sooner rather than later.

I was hoping for 'OBi Expert Configuration' settings would allow for this as both accounts are linked to the OBi100 device.

There maybe a way, but if thers is, I am sure it is forbotten for the general public. 

There are ways to do things with CID when you call into your google voice number however, my desire is to pick up the handset and dial and have the CallCentric# to be displayed to the recipient.  ie Simply and directly.

again, pc44, THANKS ! ! !

pc44

avibp,

No problem.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.  Let's hope that GV improves their service set and/or support options so that porting is more advantageous to future users.

Thanks for your reply,
pc44 :)

avibp

Quote from: pc44 on May 31, 2012, 11:24:59 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Don't be please.  A quick and direct answer?  "Perfect"

Quote from: pc44 on May 31, 2012, 11:24:59 AM
Let's hope that GV improves their service set and/or support options so that porting is more advantageous to future users.

HERE HERE !!! I second that motion.  Do you think it will matter if we all vote for this? (kidding)

And, Thanks Very Much for YOUR reply!

Stewart

AKAIK there is no way for to spoof caller ID on a GV call delivered by XMPP.

However, you could add another PAYG SIP provider in a VGx, that has lower per-minute rates than Callcentric and allows you to specify the outbound caller ID.  You would use a prefix to select the alternate provider for a given call.

Possibilties include Anveo at $0.01/min.  IMO their quality and reliability is as good as Callcentric's (though their track record is much shorter).  It would cost you $10 to try them out.

Voxbeam offers $0.0049 "Standard" and $0.0081 "Premium" routes, with six-second billing (some rural destinations are higher).  There are a few technical hassles, but it's not that hard to set up.  You get $1 credit at signup, so you can test without making a payment.  

I've not tried them, but AlcazarNetworks has a good reputation and depending on the specific numbers you call, you'll probably average between $0.0025 and $0.004 per minute, with six-second billing. You get a 24-hour free trial at signup, limited to $5.

If you are a consistently heavy user, you could consider the "unlimited" (5000 minute cap) services such as VOIPo or Phonepower.  Neither permits spoofing, so you would have to port your number there.  Unfortunately, they are not as reliable as Callcentric.

avibp

Stewart

Thanks for all the names and rates of alternatives - especially Anveo with spoofing capabilities.  I have to stick with Callcentric due to their quality, reliability and their track record even though Anveo's is just as good except their shorter length track record. 

I'm not a huge phone caller and have the $6.95 - 500 Minute plan from Callcentric right now with a $0.02 per minute for overage so, the more time I spend trying to squeek out savings ends up costing me in the short and long run.  There is STIFF competition out there for VOIP and the largest factor(s) to me are the three you mentioned which is why I am with CC.

As time permits, I will indeed be checking into all the reputable names you listed.  Informations is valuable.  It is much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks!