News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't restore current configuration

Started by OZOi, June 06, 2012, 01:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OZOi

I can't restore configuration created today. At the same time I can restore old configurations created a half of year ago.

Here is the simple task. I need to have 2 different configuration settings. One has Google Voice + SIP provider and second one has two SIP providers. I want to switch back and force between those two. Now I have two old config files created 2011-07-16 (GV+SIP) and 2012-01-10 (SIP+SIP). I can restore them just fine at any time I wish.

Now, I need to make small changes in both (change password in one and make a small adjustment in the second one) and save them as current. I did it. But then I can't restore configuration from any of newly created files... :(

I always can return to the old config files, but those new, created today, simply don't change anything when I try to restore config from them. Device reboots, but after that configuration is still the same as before.

I use the latest firmware version - 1.3.0 (Build: 2711).

Old configuration files were created with different firmware versions, accordingly to the time when I made them (I keep firmware updated all the time).

What should I do to be able to restore configurations saved today?

QBZappy

OZOi,

You may not be aware that your firmware configuration might be setup to auto update config from the portal. Try restoring the firmware configuration without internet connection. Then view the unit web page locally. You may have to turn off the auto updating features on the unit if that is indeed what is happening.

Edit: meant to say configuration
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

Also, note that a saved configuration does not contain any passwords (which should leave them alone on restore), though you can manually edit passwords into a config file (in which case the passwords will be set on restore).

OZOi

Gentlemen, thank you both for your replies

@QBZappy,
I don't use portal at all. And there is no auto-updates. I'm trying to switch between two configuration settings, not between different firmware versions. One configuration contains GV+SIP and another one contains SIP+SIP. And I can't do it with two configuration files created today. I can do it easily with old configuration files though. Let say I have 4 configuration files:
110716_GV+SIP.xml
120110_SIP+SIP.xml
120606_GV+SIP.xml
120606_SIP+SIP.xml
From the names you may get date stamp when they were created, followed by corresponding configuration. The last two files were created (as "Backup Configuration") today, after very small changes made after loading earlier created setups.

The problem is - when I try to restore let say from configuration GV+SIP to SIP+SIP pointing out to 120606_SIP+SIP.xml file, after automatic reboot there is no change. Configuration still the same... I can apply the old 120110_SIP+SIP.xml file though, and configuration will be changed appropriately. It works both ways and the same scenario occurs when I try to change from current SIP+SIP configuration to GV+SIP by loading new 120606_GV+SIP.xml file. It doesn't change anything (configuration still be SIP+SIP). But I can load the old 110716_GV+SIP.xml file and it will eventually change configuration to GV+SIP.

Why I can't just switch between configurations by loading the latest files created today with OBi100 v1.3.0 (Build: 2711)?

I want to perform a simple toggle between configurations by loading 120606_GV+SIP.xml and 120606_SIP+SIP.xml interchangeably, one after another. Why it's not possible with backup files made today, but I can do it with old config files???

@Stewart,
How I can manually edit passwords into config files? This is the case when I don't want to play security games here at all, but I need to be able to switch configurations fast without that trouble. Should I add "AuthPassword" lines after "AuthUserName"?
For example:
    <ParameterValueStruct>
      <Name>AuthUserName</Name>
      <Value>1001</Value>
    </ParameterValueStruct>
    <ParameterValueStruct>
      <Name>AuthPassword</Name>
      <Value>2222</Value>
    </ParameterValueStruct>
or I have to do something different here?

QBZappy

OZOi,

You can open the backup config files using M$ excel. You can perhaps compare the two files to see if there is anything obvious. Just an idea.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

OZOi

I've compared two files with Beyond Compare and see that the old files (which work) has pretty big section at the end which the new files doesn't have. The section begins with:
    <ParameterValueStruct>
      <Name>UserAgentDomain</Name>
      <Value X_UseDefault="Yes"/>
    </ParameterValueStruct>
    <ParameterValueStruct>
      <Name>OutboundProxy</Name>
    </ParameterValueStruct>
    <ParameterValueStruct>
      <Name>OutboundProxyPort</Name>

Other differences include different date/time stamps, version numbers, last called numbers, etc. which is pretty much expected.

Why the new files miss that big section? Perhaps that's why I can't restore configuration from them now.

QBZappy

OZOi,

I just compared config file of my OBi 110 with one from OBi100 with Beyond Compare. My OBi110 has several sections which I think should have been in the OBi100 config as well. Here is an example of a missing section:

<N>VoiceService.1.X_FXO.1.</N> <------ Header in both unit configs. The body is missing in the OBi100
    <P>
      <N>Enable</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="true"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DigitMap</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="(xxxxxxxS4|1xxxxxxxxxx|xx.)"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>InboundCallRoute</N>
      <V>{(x.5145551111|x.5145552222|x.5145553333|x.5145554444):aa($1)},{pp(ob290000000),ph}</V>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>RingDelay</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="4000"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>RingProfile</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="A"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DefaultRing</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="1"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>CallOnHoldRing</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="8"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>ToneProfile</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="A"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DetectOutboundConnectMethod</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="Assume connected after a short delay"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DialDelay</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="500"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DialDigitOnTime</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="200"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DialDigitOffTime</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV="200"/>
    </P>
    <P>
      <N>DirectoryNumber</N>
      <V X_UD="Y" X_DV=""/>
    </P>

Don't know what to make of it. You might try copying the missing section and restoring the modified BKUP. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

OZOi

I've just copied missed part to the latest config file (which did not work before, created today) and now it can be used to restore configuration. Perhaps the bug is there...

Looks like that the other differences include different date/time stamps, version numbers, last called numbers, etc. are not important at all.

So, from that I may conclude that the latest backups created by OBi100 v1.3.0 (Build: 2711) can't be used to restore configurations, unless one modifies them manually... It's not good, not good at all... :(

How to keep account password within configurations file?

QBZappy

OZOi,

Just curious. What OBi model are you having problems with? The OBi 100 or the 110? My Obi 100 config seems to not be a complete copy of the settings in the unit. I had never bothered to check this.

OZOi

It's OBi100. I don't have OBi110 on my hands.

I think you'd agree that the purpose of config backup is to be able to restore that configuration some day later. And that's exactly what I'm trying to do right now. I want to load two different configurations created today interchangeably. And I can't do that... So, "Backup Configuration" feature has been lost with some firmware update.

I agree that config saved as a backup copy should reflect full set of configuration options. It's important, or the backup functionality is lost or not supported...