News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Disable router and use Obi202 as plain client

Started by donnib, June 10, 2012, 12:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donnib

Hi,
I just got the 202 and i want to use it as a client without the router included so i did following :

1. Set the OperationMode to Bridge
2. Set the ip address to an X static ip address on my network in RouterIPAddress.
3. Disabled the DHCP server.
4. Connected a cable from LAN to my network
5. Tried to connect to ip address X from an browser.

I cannot succeed with point 5. The 202 will not react when i try to reach the web interface.

I even tried to set an static IP address on the WAN side and then tried to go on the web interface from the WAN side but that did not work, i guess it does not permit web access from WAN side and i can't find an option to enable it either (this is normal possible on many routers).

So my question how do i use the Obi202 as a plain client without all it's router possibilities ?

/donnib

pc44

Hi donnib,

I think I would have done the very same steps you did... so maybe there is something else we are missing.

Regarding WAN access, this can be enabled by picking up the phone attached to the phone port of the OBI and dialing
***0  and then  30#
After this, you should be presented with prompts for changing the current value of option 30 from 0 to 1 in order to enable WAN side access.  http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc321996379

Obvious question I know, but is the static IP you assigned within the same subnet as the PC you are using?

pc44

Stewart

In router mode (the default), if you simply don't plug anything into the LAN port, it's a plain client.  There is one gotcha -- access to the internal web server from the WAN side is disabled by default.  You can enable it from the phone with IVR option 30, or you can temporarily connect a PC to the LAN port and turn on WebManagementFromWAN (default LAN IP is 192.168.10.1).

In bridge mode, the behavior is not clearly defined by the manual.  I would try turning on the option above, then attempt to access the server at the IP address reported by dialing ***1.

Ostracus

It's behavior is all the non-router functions work. Basically a two-port switch. Especially handy if one has the ObiWifi.

Oh, almost forgot. Have the Obi202 in bridge mode and have a wireless bridge on the WAN port. Accidentally connected it to the LAN and of course it didn't work, so both ports aren't equal.

pc44

Quote from: Stewart on June 10, 2012, 12:25:17 PMIn router mode (the default), if you simply don't plug anything into the LAN port, it's a plain client.
I imagine the built-in firewall in the OBI202 is also always on unless you specifically a) disable the firewall or b) bridge the OBI. ???

Stewart

Quote from: pc44 on June 10, 2012, 03:51:46 PMI imagine the built-in firewall in the OBI202 is also always on unless you specifically a) disable the firewall or b) bridge the OBI. ???
The present manual says that the firewall is off by default.  Also, it's a pretty lame firewall and the only option that might affect an internal service is DRDOSAttackProtection, also off by default.

pc44

Quote from: Stewart on June 11, 2012, 01:16:11 AMThe present manual says that the firewall is off by default.  Also, it's a pretty lame firewall and the only option that might affect an internal service is DRDOSAttackProtection, also off by default.

Ahhh I see.  Thanks for that.  I'm guessing it's just a NAT firewall, which believe it or not, is still the only thing provided in some ISP provided equipment.

cajackson

I know this is an old thread, but it's the one that kept coming up as I searched for the answer.  Here was my solution.

Plug your OBI into a local network port via the INTERNET port on the OBI -- NOT the LAN.

This is probably the most convenient way to reset and restore the OBi202 defaults:
- Be sure your analog telephone is plugged into one of the rear-panel telephone RJ-11 jacks.
- Take the phone off-hook and press the star key three times followed by the number 8;  i.e.   * * * 8
- Next, the IVR response will ask you to press 1 to confirm.
- You will see the Power LED Flash Red for about 5 seconds.  This is an indication that reset/restore has been initiated and the ATA is now restarting/rebooting.
- The complete IVR initiated restore sequence will only take about 45 seconds to complete.
This IVR restore method is a full restore.  In other words, it restores both Router/Network and Voice settings. 

Additional Configuration Options Available with the OBi IVR after Pressing * * * 0:
Note: Always Press "#" After Entering Selection
30 - Web Management Access from WAN port
Press 1 to enter a new value.
1: Enable Access from WAN
(Effective in Router mode only, hence the next step)

31 - Choose Router or Bridge Mode
Press 1 to enter a new value.
1: Bridge

I also assigned a static IP to the OBI via my router and this is enough to get to the Web Access.
Dial * * * 1 to get Basic Network Status, including your IP address.

I don't mind using the OBiTalk portal, so I logged in and Enabled OBiTalk Provisioning under System Management.  This allowed me to use the wizards to get the config in quick and dirty.  I may go back to the web interface at some point, but OBiTalk gets me 98% of what I need.

Good luck.