News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

After Major ISP outage (RoadRunner/TimeWarner) GV won't connect

Started by Arghtastic, June 23, 2012, 05:49:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arghtastic

My ISP had a major outage starting at 1:20am on the 22nd of June and running the rest of the day (service came back at 1pm but continued to go in and out intermittently.) 

I see the below message in the device configuration in the Obitalk portal for my device.  When I do a traceroute to the IP address below when at home, it exceeds 30 hops before it reaches it and the traceroute stops. It appears to a misrouted destination.  I am wondering if this is on purpose by the ISP to break GV+Obi  or just means they don't have everything fixed.

Connecting to 125.225.85.209

Has anyone else seen this.

Stewart

A DNS cache is poisoned somewhere -- that's a hacker in Taiwan.
http://whois.domaintools.com/125.225.85.209

Reboot modem, router and OBi (in that order).  If that doesn't help, the trouble is likely at your ISP; try setting the OBi's Network Settings -> DNSServer1 and DNSServer2 to 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 respectively.

infin8loop

I've had good luck with http://www.opendns.com/     DNS servers:  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on my router.

Registration is not required but allows additional free and paid (if needed) features to be used.

"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

Stewart

Quote from: infin8loop on June 23, 2012, 10:45:24 AM

I've had good luck with http://www.opendns.com/     DNS servers:  208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 on my router.

Registration is not required but allows additional free and paid (if needed) features to be used.

Unless you have a paid OpenDNS account, or have a specific reason and understand the consequences, I recommend that you avoid OpenDNS for VoIP or other embedded systems.  On a free or unregistered OpenDNS account, a failing lookup (caused by a typo or a technical problem) is redirected to an ad server.  Said ad server won't respond at all to NTP or SIP, and will give a "successful" (but garbage) result on e.g. fetching a provisioning file by HTTP.  This makes finding the real cause of a problem much more difficult.

For example, if I accidentally enter "callcntric.com" into my config, the SPx Service Status will show:

Retrying Register (server=67.215.65.132:5060)

Most users won't think to look up 67.215.65.132 and see that it's actually hit-nxdomain.opendns.com.

pc44

Good explanation.  I've always tried to specifically avoid using OpenDNS on my OBIs, after reading OBI's Google Voice FAQ.  It's nice to now see the reason why.

Apart from VOIP, I am a big fan of OpenDNS and employ it in various scenarios.  Google's Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as well as the ancient 4.2.2.2 Public DNS are good alternatives, and I use these for the OBIs.  But I still prefer OpenDNS in other non-VoIP setups.

Thank you both for the info,
pc44