News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBI 100 Choppy and gargled sound on outgoing calls sometimes, Qos???

Started by DonB, June 24, 2012, 05:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonB

OK, I searched on the site, but nothing really pertains to my system and router, so I will ask it here, sometimes on outgoing calls I get a gargle voice and choppy sound, and have to hang up and wait a bit and then call back. I was reading in the FAQ and said to set the Qos settings on my router to prioritize the OBI. I have no clue if this would help or what to set it at, I have a Linksys router WRT54GS, and I looked into my settings and found the Qos, but it is disabled, would configuring this help at all, and if yes, I would have no clue what to set it to and how to go about configuring it, any help would be greatly appreciated. I will post a screenshot of my Qos page, and if you have any input that would be great, TIA

I also found this but I assume this is a different router  ???  http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21581951-HOWTO-QoS-and-Tomato-fixes-choppy-voice

pc44

Hi DonB,

Here is an article (from 2009) for QoS on the Linksys WRT54G.  Although your router is a WRT54GS, most of the article should still apply.

For Upstream Bandwidth, you could stay with Auto, but I think most people prefer to set it manually.  If going Manual, you'll need to know the current maximum upload speed/bandwidth of your internet service.  If you do not know it already, you can run a speedtest to find out.  I like to use http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If you decide to set priority by Device, you will need the MAC address of your OBI100.  This can be conveniently located here:
Status -> System Status -> WAN Status -> MACAddress ->

Alternately, if you would rather prioritize by the physical LAN port on your Linksys Router, you could select the Highest Priority for the appropriate Port Number to which your OBI100 is connected.  The Application Priority adjusts network traffic priority based on the Port in use.  Since the OBI100 does not use wireless, I would think you do not need to enable WMM support.

Hopefully others will add some advice too!!
pc44

DonB

So prioritizing by port might be sufficient ?? not sure I would want to play with all those settings, since I use many things in the house, like Tivo, laptop, etc... would not want to have issues with those. Please advise.

Quote from: pc44 on June 24, 2012, 09:19:17 AM
Hi DonB,

Here is an article (from 2009) for QoS on the Linksys WRT54G.  Although your router is a WRT54GS, most of the article should still apply.

For Upstream Bandwidth, you could stay with Auto, but I think most people prefer to set it manually.  If going Manual, you'll need to know the current maximum upload speed/bandwidth of your internet service.  If you do not know it already, you can run a speedtest to find out.  I like to use http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If you decide to set priority by Device, you will need the MAC address of your OBI100.  This can be conveniently located here:
Status -> System Status -> WAN Status -> MACAddress ->

Alternately, if you would rather prioritize by the physical LAN port on your Linksys Router, you could select the Highest Priority for the appropriate Port Number to which your OBI100 is connected.  The Application Priority adjusts network traffic priority based on the Port in use.  Since the OBI100 does not use wireless, I would think you do not need to enable WMM support.

Hopefully others will add some advice too!!
pc44

pc44

Quote from: DonB on June 24, 2012, 10:44:31 AMSo prioritizing by port might be sufficient ?? not sure I would want to play with all those settings, since I use many things in the house, like Tivo, laptop, etc... would not want to have issues with those. Please advise.

DonB,

Based on my understanding of the WRT54GS, yes.  I do not know your network layout; so just make sure that the OBI is connected directly (i.e. not through a switch, etc) to the router port you prioritize.

pc44

DonB

Yep, I have it connected into Port 1 of the Linksys, and I enabled the Qos and Prioritized Port 1 to High

Quote from: pc44 on June 24, 2012, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: DonB on June 24, 2012, 10:44:31 AMSo prioritizing by port might be sufficient ?? not sure I would want to play with all those settings, since I use many things in the house, like Tivo, laptop, etc... would not want to have issues with those. Please advise.

DonB,

Based on my understanding of the WRT54GS, yes.  I do not know your network layout; so just make sure that the OBI is connected directly (i.e. not through a switch, etc) to the router port you prioritize.

pc44