December 13, 2017, 02:32:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So what is unique about the OBion app vs using the Google Talk client?  (Read 47304 times)
QBZappy
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« on: July 03, 2012, 02:15:03 pm »

I recently wrote that the GTALK/GCHAT can be incorporated in various ways with the OBi.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3550.msg23594#msg23594

Since a GTALK client can reproduce many of the features of the OBion app by by-passing the OBiTALK network altogether, under what use case would the OBion app be a more appropriate tool to use. Basically what are the pros and cons of each.

Obion App/GTALK
1) Both can be included in inbound rules to enable call forking,
2) Both can be included in inbound rules to enable it to directed to the AA
2) Both can be setup as a speed dial
3) CID passes to OBion app via OBiTALK network. Since you can not have the same GTALK acct open on the computer and the OBi, you will need to open a second GTALK acct to receive forked calls. I'm not certain that the CID would pass since it by-passes the OBiTALK network, however it passes through the OBi unit. I think the CID should show. I'll have to try that.

Anything else I missed?

So what is unique about the OBion app?

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.
QBZappy

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:24 am »

When considering the OBiAPP, there is a lot more under the hood than meets the eye. It is not very obvious until you take the time to analyze the behavior under different call scenarios. Here is what I discovered (current as at the time of this writing). Some of this changes my understanding  concerning how the OBiAPP works from previous posts.

I tested 3 different GV accounts in the speed dial on my OBi110. All configs were done on the OBi unit directly.
SP1= voip acct
SP2= GV name1@gmail.com

1) Dialing previously setup speed dials rang the phone attached to the OBi in the following setups:
a) ph (phone port) was removed from all Inbound call routes. In fact at first I could reach the AA because the OBiAPP number 290XXXXXX was in the COT. I then removed the ENTIRE contents of all the inbound call routes, and the phone STILL rang directly, this time without hitting the AA. I removed it from the following places:
ITSP InboundCallRoute sp1/2
OBiTALK InboundCallRoute
POTS-line InboundCallRoute

b) Disabled sp1/2

The only time I managed to NOT make the phone ring was by disabling the OBiTALK Service. I then got a "service busy here" message. The OBiAPP gateway is configured via the OBiTALK portal, so that would make sense.

2) Note that all 3 GV accounts are in the GV buddy list. The phone attached to the OBi rang when I called the 2 GV accts that where not registered with this OBi. SP2 on test OBi110 was configured with a GV acct which when dialed in the speed dial returned "busy here" message (that is to be expected).

3) From the phone attached to the OBi I could reach my GTALK APP on the computer using the speed dial number in the following
format: sp2(nameX@gmail.com)
OBi->Computer (GTLAK client) Yes (with speed dial)

4) From the OBiAPP I was NOT able to ring the same acct on the GTALK APP using the same speed dial. My inbound call route for OBiTALK Service and SP1 Service was {sp2(name@gmail.com)}. This is one of the few times AFAIK that the behavior of dialing the OBiAPP and the phone connected on the OBi differ. This could be a reason why some of the forking call strategies to other GTALK clients don't work as I would have expected. It would be interesting if someone else could reproduce this. I have not tried RonR's single stage dialing to see what the limitations of the OBiAPP would be under such a setup.
OBiAPP->Computer (GTLAK client) Not possible
OBiAPP->OBi Yes (phone port rings in all cases it seems, if GV accts are in the buddy list)

5) From the GTALK client or Gmail Chat to OBi is/was possible. For some reason I can no longer call my OBI using GTALK client as per Sherman's instructions.

In order for the OBi device to answer the incoming G-Talk call with the OBi Attendant, you need to put the caller's Gmail user name in the "Phone Number" field of the OBiTALK Trusted Callers listing.
E.g. "GTalk-caller@gmail.com"

When GTalk-caller places a call to their OBi "buddy" from Google Talk, the OBi device will answer the call with its OBi Attendant.  The caller will then have the choice to use their pc's keyboard to press:

1 to Continue the call - i.e. Ring the attached phone.
2 to Make a new call - Dial with the pc keyboard a regular telephone number followed by the #.
3 to Enter a Callback Number - Dial with the pc keyboard a number that the OBi will use to make the call back call.

OBiAPP is very flaky. I could not register my softphone with the OBiAPP reliably.

OBiTALK portal over rides and/or does not permit the following OBi unit configurations:
1) By default the phone port will always ring, no matter how you configure the inbound call route.
2) Since you register in the portal with your own GV UN and PW, OBihai has a direct access to all your GV contacts. That seems to be the the reason why the phone port can ring when I dial any GV acct in the speed dial. I can't understand why I would want my OBi to ring if I was calling another GV contact via speed dial. For those that use it for business or others who consider privacy issues, knowing that a 3rd party has access to your client and vendor lists may be an issue to consider. When we click on the "I accept", the TOS are totally obscure on this point. It is interesting that from a technical standpoint that all these features are possible. These are some of the trade offs that we must consider in order to be an informed consumer.

3) Dialing the speed dial number on the handset successfully connects to the GTALK client, however using the OBiAPP does not.

4) Forking to other GTALK clients in the form of spX(name@gmail.com) does not seem to work despite what the call history says in the OBi.

It would seem that the the OBi does not mimic the GTALK client in every aspect. The OBiTALK service drives the features of the OBiAPP. It seems that the OBiTALK service imposes a minimum configuration of ringing the phone port and this should be expected when designing a call strategy.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.
ianobi

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:33 am »

QBZappy,

Re your point:

4) From the OBiAPP I was NOT able to ring the same acct on the GTALK APP using the same speed dial. My inbound call route for OBiTALK Service and SP1 Service was {sp2(name@gmail.com)}. This is one of the few times AFAIK that the behavior of dialing the OBiAPP and the phone connected on the OBi differ.

I believe this is true of any speed dial in sip uri form. I did suggest a workaround (a bit clumsy maybe):

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3662.0

I know very little about GV, so I may be missing the point  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 11:56:51 am by ianobi » Logged
QBZappy

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »

ianobi,

I believe this is true of any speed dial in sip uri form.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Sip uri address are designed to look like an email address and since GV/GTALK/GCHAT is not built around sip, any resemblance in the form of name@gmail.com in both cases is indeed confusing. I will try your idea sometime this week.

Best--
QBZappy

brixton

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:11:12 am »

The post is already outdated, but I am planning to use OBI, but my concern is that do I need to purchase GTALK credits to call anyone and use with OBI?

Cheers,
Brixton
"an ipad designer case distributor"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: