News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

obi110 line port..

Started by rsriram22, July 05, 2012, 07:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsriram22

I have two devices - obi100US and obi110overseas. obi110overseas has a PSTN phone connected to it. Too, the obi110overseas has the SP1 as default port (the port that is connected to internet)

Just want to confirm the following:

1) obi100US will call obi110overseas as **9 123 456 789 (assuming 123456789 is the obi110overseas's obi #)

2) access obi110overseas line port from obi100US using **9 123 456 789 **8 <overseasnumbergoeshere>
[am assuming all of these numbers needs to be dialed in quick succession]. I can configure quick dial later..

3) Do i get the line port's dial tone after **9 123 456 789 **8 ? (before i start the local # that is?)

4) Any overseas numbers (local to the country where obi110overseas is located, or otherwise) calling the line port# associated to obi110overseas will not get forwarded/answered by obi110overseas, but are handled as though there is no obi110overseas in the picture, right?

I know these have been answered at different threads in this forum, but just wanted to consolidate them together so I understand them better.

Thanks!
have two 100s and one 110

QBZappy

rsriram22,

Quote from: rsriram22 on July 05, 2012, 07:05:31 AM

1) obi100US will call obi110overseas as **9 123 456 789 (assuming 123456789 is the obi110overseas's obi #)

Yes.  One of two things should happen after you dial that number depending how things are configured. If the local OBi is in the COT of the overseas OBi you will get the AA. If not in the COT, it should simply ring the overseas phone.

2) access obi110overseas line port from obi100US using **9 123 456 789 **8 <overseasnumbergoeshere>
[am assuming all of these numbers needs to be dialed in quick succession]. I can configure quick dial later..

No. Again depending on how things are configured you get different behavior. If local OBi is in the COT of the overeas OBi it will get the AA. The AA will offer three options. Option#2 is to make a new call. If your intent is to make a call using the connected POTS line you can make an outgoing call on that trunk using **8 or automatically by assging the AA PrimaryLine=PSTN Line. This is what you call a 2 stage call. A  more complicated setup can be had where you can have a 1 stage call, where you dial the overseas number on the local OBi and depending on the dial plan it will send it automatically to the PSTN line of the overseas OBi. If you set it up with the AA consider putting frequently called numbers in the speed dial of the overseas OBi. Come to think of it you can even put it in the speed dial of the local OBi and automatically make the call over the PSTN line of the overseas OBi.

3) Do i get the line port's dial tone after **9 123 456 789 **8 ? (before i start the local # that is?)

No. Read above explanations.

4) Any overseas numbers (local to the country where obi110overseas is located, or otherwise) calling the line port# associated to obi110overseas will not get forwarded/answered by obi110overseas, but are handled as though there is no obi110overseas in the picture, right?

It depends if you set it up as a 2 stage dial or a 1 stage dial call strategy. If 2 stage dialing is used, it is obvious that there is another machine in the loop. If 1 stage is implemented, it becomes automatic. Like usual there is always a tradeoff between different choices. It comes down to a question of time and effort in figuring out how to set it up.

If 1 stage dialing is what you want, then look up RonR posts explaining how to set this up. My head is swimming with so many different ways to configure these units.  

Have fun.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rsriram22

Thanks a million for your blazing fast reply.  

By the way would the local POTS phone get to hear my voice if I am using the line port by calling from here (US) and vice-versa (that is, would I get to hear their voice or engaged tone if I try to use that line while someone is already using it over there?)

And yes, I will have each of these in the other's COT- Actually, I will add both these devices under the same obi account. So that is taken care of.

At this point, I'd go with the 2 stage calling since I'd want the local phone attached to the obi110overseas ring sometimes (so that my folks there can answer it) and at different times I d like to call using the line port (so that the call just gets forwarded and i talk to my other friends/relatives)

Thanks again!
have two 100s and one 110

QBZappy

Quote from: rsriram22 on July 05, 2012, 08:17:56 AM
(that is, would I get to hear their voice or engaged tone if I try to use that line while someone is already using it over there?)

Calling from the USA OBi to the overseas PSTN line/trunk then the normal behavior is that only one call is allowed per trunk on a normal PSTN line at any time. Therefore if someone is busy talking on the overseas phone (PSTN line) at the moment you call then the call should not complete.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.