News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Softphones as extensions?

Started by Fasttimes, July 07, 2012, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fasttimes

When someone calls my GV number, I want the phones on my obi device to ring, as well as an app on both of my iOS devices, all at the same time.

After I got my Obi working, I signed up for 2 additional obitalk accounts and added them to my mains accounts COT.

On each iOS device I downloaded the Obitalk app and signed in with one of the new accounts.

I then went into the ObiExpert and modifed X_InboundCallRoute for SP1 as follows:

{ph,pp(ob12345678),pp(ob12345679)}

All 3 endpoints now ring at the same , and I can make calls from all of them.  Did I make too much work for myself or is the easiest method?

jimates

Sounds like you did ok. No extra work in the setup.

But consider calling out from your apps. Do you have to go through the AA, or can you dial direct to any number?

Quote from: Fasttimes on July 07, 2012, 11:20:53 AM
Is it possible to use TalkaTone or other iOS apps instead of ObiTalk?

How would I get those apps to login to obi given my OBi number is 12345678?

There are no alternatives, Talkatone doesn't sign into the Obi. It signs into gmail just like the Obi does. for that reason only one can be signed in at a time. Generally the Obi gets kicked out for the app.

Fasttimes

Not sure what you mean about the AA.

Why doesn't the obi control panel allow you to add multiple endpoints?  Setting up new accounts seems a bit cumbersome.  It works, but just seems unnecessary. 

jimates

From your app can you dial 7 (or 10) digits or do you have to go through the auto attendant to place calls? How do you place calls on alternate services, can you dial **2xx....... etc.

It is just the limitations of Obitalk. You can add multiple devices to an account, but only one softphone number, which basically is the account itself.

You can set one Obi as the default gateway for multiple accounts, but it requires leap frogging the Obi from one account to another. It can't be done manually, although it would be nice. I guess it has to do with limiting the setting to a device you actually have control of, meaning it has to be in your account.

Fasttimes

jimates

Then it seems you are all set, with minimal configuration. Great job!!