News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

how do I save settings?

Started by babobi, July 15, 2012, 11:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babobi

Can someone tell me how I can save all the idiosyncratic settings I have acquired from this fantastic group since purchasing my Obi 110 in February? How can I export these settings and then reimport if necessary on a second Obi 110 unit? Thanks so much for your help!

QBZappy

On the unit you will see this. Put check marks in the Choose Backup Options.

System Management
    Network Settings
    Auto Provisioning
    Device Admin
    Device Update  <- here

Put check marks in the Choose Backup Options if you like. To restore see the "Restore Configuration" button on the same web page on the unit. The OBiTALK portal had issues with this backup/restore. I don't know if it has been fixed. Note the PW is not stored in the BKUP.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

babobi

When you say "On the unit" what do you mean? Is this in "Expert Configuration" from the Obi Dashboard? Sorry but I don't see "Device Update." I am not in the same city where my Obi 110 is located. Can I backup my settings remotely? Thanks QBZappy.

QBZappy

Device Update option is not even on the portal. It doesn't seem possible using the expert. Only having direct access to the unit can you do Back and Restore for the time being.

It seems that the "History" and "Device Update" options have been removed from the portal. Well the "Device Update" via the portal never worked anyway.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

QBZappy

Most routers have a DDNS client built in. You can use port forwarding on the router to gain access to the OBi unit directly, you will then have no restrictions when configuring the OBi. I don't know if it is possible in your case to set it up this way since you do not have access to the router and the OBi.

The basic premise of the Expert portal is to give the ability to configure remotely. If some basic features such as the ones mentioned above are missing, it makes using the portal less compelling.

Stewart

Quote from: QBZappy on July 16, 2012, 06:25:17 AM
Most routers have a DDNS client built in. You can use port forwarding on the router to gain access to the OBi unit directly, you will then have no restrictions when configuring the OBi.
I had been using this method, but it's not working for me anymore -- there are now XML errors when viewing most pages.  Unfortunately, I don't know what change (firmware upgrade, network settings, etc.) caused this to start happening.  Also, several other users have reported the same issue.

For me, it's not a disaster, as there is a Linux system left running at the remote site, and there is no problem accessing the OBi via SSH port forward or VPN.  Worst case, I can remote desktop to the Linux box and run Firefox there.

If someone has taken the effort to track down what goes wrong, perhaps we can get Obihai to fix it.

Felix

Quote from: Stewart on July 16, 2012, 06:49:25 AM
I had been using this method, but it's not working for me anymore -- there are now XML errors when viewing most pages.  Unfortunately, I don't know what change (firmware upgrade, network settings, etc.) caused this to start happening.  Also, several other users have reported the same issue.

For me, it's not a disaster, as there is a Linux system left running at the remote site, and there is no problem accessing the OBi via SSH port forward or VPN.  Worst case, I can remote desktop to the Linux box and run Firefox there.

If someone has taken the effort to track down what goes wrong, perhaps we can get Obihai to fix it.
Stewart - for me it went away after some Firefox upgrade. And it also worked in IE once I allowed popup for this website ('this' being IP or DDNS name for the router)

extraordinary

This is an old thread, but I am having the same problem!
I tried Chrome, Firefox and IE. I can't see that menu for saving the configuration and restoring it.

Anybody has solved this ?!

(I started poking around because of what I think are unrelated problems, but just in case this rings a bell in the same context or not:
- I reverted back to X-Lite 4.5 from X-Lite 5. Since then, when I make a voice call, the outgoing voice doesn't make it to the other end.
- Now it happens from multiple computers (even the one that didn't get the upgrade), so I am thinking it has something to do with the obi configuration.
- Before changing anything I wanted to backup the current configuration. And, I can't!!!)