News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Network configuration issue

Started by Jefferson, July 20, 2012, 11:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefferson

I have always had a difficulty with my Obi and Netgear router. I have been able to manage by downgrading the software on the router a few versions. However, this is causing other problems with the wireless service on the router.

Can I add a switch between the router and the cable modem and also connect the Obi to the switch, leaving it to connect directly to the internet via the cable modem? I am thinking that if the modem is acting as a bridge that it might not work.

Stewart

Although there is no technical problem with the switch setup, it would require two public IP addresses, and your cable company will likely charge a monthly fee for a second IP address.

If you have an old (non-wireless) router that is stable, try connecting it to the cable modem, with the OBi and the Netgear router (with latest firmware) connected to the old router.

It's possible that there are some settings changes that would allow the Netgear with currenct firmware to play nicely with the OBi.  Router model and version?  What services do you have on the OBi?  What problems are you seeing?

Jefferson

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought of the same thing after posting. I dug out an old router (wireless, but I disabled that function) and set it up as described. The Netgear issue is something I worked through a few months ago - http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3276.0.

The only problem I have is that I have to turn off the DHCP on the Netgear wireless router for it to operate behind the wired router, but then the wireless devices cannot get an IP address after authentication. Any ideas?

Jefferson

I managed to get the Netgear router to use the wired router as a DHCP server by connecting the two using lan ports (no connection to the wan port on the wireless router) and assigning at different subnet mask to its static IP configuration.

Ostracus

That's the way to do it. You're trying to avoid a double-NAT situation which some applications don't like. Also in general there should only be one DHCP server on a given network.