News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

At my wit's end with Google Voice and Obi100 - phone won't ring

Started by tess, July 21, 2012, 02:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tess

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm ready to rip my hair out. I've followed all the suggestions I can find on this forum and nothing seems to work, so I must be overlooking something.

I installed my new Obi100 and connected it to my existing Google Voice account. The configuration process on the ObiTalk website went smoothly. All lights are green, website says I'm connected, and I can call out just fine. But I can't get the phone to ring.

What happens it that the number I have input into Google Voice as the number to forward to will ring instead. I've tried using both my cell phone and my landline as the forwarding number (GV requires at least one number to be active on the account), but I leave them unchecked in GV and just leave the "Forwards to: Google Chat" option checked. I've also made sure that the "Voicemail Access" on both the Google Chat and the forwarding number are set to "no".

I've tried using two different phones attached to the Obi100 so I know it's not a problem with the phone.

I've tried logging out of Google Chat. I've tried logging back into Google Chat. I've made sure I'm not invisible in Google Chat.

Does anybody have any idea why Google Voice is ringing a forwarding number that I've unchecked? And how can I fix it so that the phone connected to my Obi100 will ring instead?

Stewart

You need to make at least one call from Gmail, before GV will ring the OBi.  You should exit Gmail and reboot the OBi before retesting.

If you've already tried that or it doesn't help, confirm that your GV settings changes are being saved, by closing all browser windows, then opening a new one and logging into GV.

Confirm that you are working with the right GV account.  What you see under "Your number:" in the left frame of the GV settings page should match the caller ID sent when you call from the OBi.

If no luck, report whether attempted incoming calls appear in the OBi's Call History, and in GV's History.

tess

Thanks, Stewart. I think it may be working now. I tried all your suggestions about closing browser windows and making sure I was working with the right GV account and had no luck. But you did give me the encouragement I needed to keep trying.

What I did was delete the device and then I did a factory reset just to make sure that I was starting from scratch. Then I followed all the directions on the ObiTalk website to set it up again and still no luck.

But then I tried one last thing that I hadn't tried before (everything else I'd tried about a dozen times) - I deleted the "Forward Calls to: Google Chat" listing in GV, then added it back. The difference being that now my cell phone is listed first and Google Chat second.

Now both the phones ring when someone calls my GV number, which is what I want. I'm not sure why that would make a difference, and maybe it's just voodoo, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will keep working.

Thanks for the help. If you hadn't responded so quickly I might have given up.