News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can half-duplex sound be enabled on the Obi100?

Started by dgathree, July 24, 2012, 08:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgathree

I was wanting to use half-duplex sound (sound only goes one way, like a walkie-talkie) with my OBi setup. Is there anyway to enable this on the OBi100? Are there any OBi devices which allow this? Is this possible feature in the future.

QBZappy

dgathree,

Like making a public announcement eg: Paging ? If so the OBi can be used to page. Or are you wanting to hold a conversation walkie talkie style?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dgathree

I'd like to hold a conversation walkie talkie style.

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

dgathree

This is going to a person who is using a microphone next to their computer for input and computer speakers for output. When you make a call, whenever the other person talks, their voice sound is loud enough to be picked up by the microphone. This makes their voice echo. If I could make the OBi not receive sound when it is outputting sound this problem would go away. Hopefully ;)

QBZappy

I don't think it is possible to do that with the OBi AFAIK.

However, everyone can get their hands on some ear buds, you know, those things we listen to mp3/radio with. Have that person listen using that instead of the built in speakers. That should be an easy fix. If you want to splurge get them a cheap earbud/microhpne over the head head set. Have a look:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=headphone+head+set

dgathree

Thanks for the info! Because of reasons that would take to long to explain, this person HAS to use speakers and desk microphone. He cannot be "attached" to anything. I understand this is a very odd circumstance and that is probably why something like half-duplex is not implemented!

QBZappy

dgathree,

Well you are obviously using the OBiAPP. I think that the softphone the other person is using must support echo cancellation. Perhaps experiment with different softphones. You might find one that works better than others.

dgathree

You know, I didn't really look for echo cancellation, but that's a good idea. Thanks!