News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can I forward a call made into a remoteOBi to a PBX system using an IP address?

Started by larrybob, August 15, 2012, 02:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrybob

I have a obi in Indonesia, and a PC based wave PBX system in callifornia.  The Obi in Indonesia receives calls on the line port. I can forward the calls using sp1 to a number in the U.S.. Is it possible to forward calls directly to a PBX in california, using an ip address and port number of the pbx system.

Thanks
Larry

QBZappy

sip uri calling is what you need to know: xxx@wanipadress(DDNS name):port

Our friend ianobi in the UK has given us an idea on how to accomplish this.

SIP URI Dialling From OBion/OBiapp via OBiTALK
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3662.msg24357#msg24357

Pay attention to this part. The CF (forking) could be setup in this format.
Quote from: ianobi on July 14, 2012, 02:41:20 AM
An added bonus for those who like to dial directly into their obi not via OBiTALK and who use a ddns service as their obi address, is that you can now effectively dial 12345@someplace.org@my.ddns.uk by using the format **212345+someplace.org@my.ddns.uk.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

larrybob

I am not sure if sip URI dialing  is what I need?   I believe i want to send the calls to 66.7.248.109   UDP port 70050.

Is this possible?  
Thanks
Larry

QBZappy

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

larrybob

The Pbx is a PC PBX system Made by Wave. I do not know too much about PBX set up :(  .... I was given the IP address number 66.7.xxx.109  with port 70050. by the company using the PBX system. I believe they received this information form the Voip service provider that is being used in the PBX system. I have requested if there is a user name that is associated with these.

This is the goal:
Have calls into the line phone number connected to the OBI in Indonesia, route directly to the PBX in California.

If the OBi needs to be configured as an extension of the pbx , and this can be done with the OBI and the PBX in two different countries, let me know what parameters I will needfrom the OBI to do this.

If I can route the calls directly from the OBi , It seems that either the pbx system or the voip provider needs to be able to receive SIP URI CALLS.

To summarize, i need a little education here about PBX systems and voip providers and the function of each in receiving sip URI calls.
Thanks Larry
Larry

QBZappy

Quote from: larrybob on August 16, 2012, 06:31:09 PM
This is the goal:
Have calls into the line phone number connected to the OBI in Indonesia, route directly to the PBX in California.

The OBi can easily be set up as an extension off a pbx. As an alternative, it more than likely can be setup as a trunk as well. If a pbx is in the mix, this opens up a lot of call strategy possibilities as a pbx offers much more call control features. If you think that the the OBi on its own is a mini pbx, then an OBi connected to a real pbx can offer much more. Forget about playing around the limited OBi IVR prompts. You can probably set up anything that you can dream of. Of course a pbx may be more than you need. I originally maintained an Asterisk pbx so that I could have Call Balk and GV features. The OBi saved me hours by simplifying my setup. (Although my Asterisk knowledge is slowly becoming a distant memory).

Your declared goal seems simple enough to accomplish. You will need to learn how to configure the pbx to get the most mileage out of it. That is beyond the scope of this forum. There are many ways to skin this cat. Sip uri routing may not be necessary if you decide to take the extension or trunk route with that pbx.

Remember that the pbx is the same as as any other commercial voip service to the OBi. One of the main advantages of having control of your own pbx is that it should be possible to overcome some of the limitations of the OBi, such as passing the CID from one endpoint to another.

Good luck.

larrybob

QBzappy Thanks for all the help! I am starting to understand this more. The small business i am trying to help has a full PBX system in their California office, so I will be using the OBi with this. I will work with the PBX company to integrate with the Obi.

I am not sure if I understand the definitions of extension and trunk your last post. This is a quote from Ron R:
Any OBi or SIP client can initiate a call through any trunk of an OBi using SIP exclusively.  The OBiTALK Service and OBiON Apps are not used.  SIP clients may be softphone's, IP phones, ATA's, etc.

In this sense  a trunk seems to be one of the four services on an OBI 110: SP1, SP2, Line or OBitalkservice. What is meant when you say configure the OBI as a trunk?

Without going into any details of configuring either the PBX or the OBI, If SIP URI calling is not used between the PBX and the OBI, what is used to transfer calls between the two systems? I understand there is only the four services mentioned above and SIP dialing.

If the Obi is set up as an extension, I have the same Question as above.

I am very confused, i understand an obi can only receive and send calls using sp1, sp2 OBITALKservice,
and  sip Uri . You say "There are many ways to skin this cat. Sip uri routing may not be necessary if you decide to take the extension or trunk route with that pbx."
Can you explain this a little more with out getting deep into exact coding specifics?
Thanks ,

Larry

QBZappy

larrybob,

Like I said, there are several ways to achieve the same/similar results. The OBi110 has 2 sip accts. You can use it as a trunk and also set up an acct to allow it to become an extension as well. For ideas on how to set it up as a trunk look for a threads on this forum and on the Michigantelephone blog. MT has a good "How To" on how to set this up.

Here are some good sources of info which might give some insight:
http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/howto-use-an-obi-110-device-to-provide-to-allow-freepbx-to-make-calls-o
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1157.msg7261#msg7261
http://www.toao.net/504-using-an-obi-ata-as-an-fxo-port-or-google-voice-trunk-for-asterisk-or-your-ip-phone

As far as how to set it up as an extension, if you can set up any sip acct you can easily set this up.

larrybob

Forwarding Calls from a remote OBi 110 to a PBX
I think I am finally sorting this all out.  Below I will try to summarize what I think I understand. All I am discussing is related to the Obi (For the PBX side, I will work things out later.)

I see three ways to accomplish this.

1) Forward all calls using Google Voice to an incoming  phone number on the PBX
2) Forward all calls using SIP URL dialing to a valid SIP URL on the PBX
3) Set up the OBi as an FXO port on the PBX system( and also it is possible to set up the obi as an FXA port as well)
Options 1 and 3, I understand well (I have included instructions below).
Here is my question : For option 2, I need A valid SIP URL on the PBX.  Is this something that can be set up on most PBX systems?? ( If the answer is yes.. I'll work out the details...... if no then,I guess option 2 is not possible.  ( This should have been my question to start this thread).

It is interesting to me that in option 3, the incoming calls from the telephone  line are forwarded to the same incoming line number. Very strange! This must work because of how the OBi interacts with the Pbx system.

For options 1 and 2
SP1 is set up for google voice
SP2 is set up for SIP

Method 1 uses Google Voice, and an incoming Number on the PBX
Physical Interfaces >> LINE Port:
LINE Port: >>InboundCallRoute: {SP1(415 xxx xxxx)}

Method 2 Create  valid SIP URI on the  PBX Then:
In one of the articles you referenced above they routed calls from Google Voice to a sip phone
Voice Services >> SP1 Service:
SP1 Service >> X_InboundCallRoute: {ph,SP2(MangosSPA921@192.168.0.9:20921)}
MangosSPA921@192.168.0.9:20921 is a valid SIP URI for Mango's IP phone

I would want to do something similar, routing incoming calls from the line port:
Physical Interfaces >> LINE Port:
LINE Port: >>InboundCallRoute: {SP2(JohnsWAVEPBX@66.7.248.109:70050)}
JohnsWAVEPBX@66.7.248.109:70050 is a valid SIP URI for the PBX System

Method 3 FXO, FXA
DO NOT SET UP SP1 and SP2 as above
Set up the OBi as an FXO port on the PBX system:
These are the instructions from another article you referenced
1.  Set a static IP address for your Obi 110 device:
2.  Set-up the Obi 110 to act as an FXS Port (an extension of the PBX)
I will not include these instructions here (see references)
3. Set-up the Obi 110 as an FXO Port (i.e., to allow you to connect a phone line to the LINE port and then make and receive calls on it using your PBX):
Service Providers
  ITSP Profile B
     SIP
        SIP
           Proxy Server:  YOURPBXIPADDRESS
           X_SpoofCallerID:  Checked
           X_AccessList:  YOURPBXIPADDRESS
Voice Services
  SP2 Service
     SP2 Service
        X-ServProvProfile:  B
        X_InboundCallRoute:  LI
     SIP Credentials:
        AuthUserName: OBITRUNK1
        AuthPassword:  FXOPASSWORD
Voice Services
  SP2 Service
     SP2 Service
        X-ServProvProfile:  B
        X_InboundCallRoute:  LI
     Physical Interfaces
  Line Port
     Line Port
        InboundCallRoute:  SP2(2125551212)

Note:  Change 2125551212 to the phone number of the line that will be attached to your LINE port.
(Minor details of other programing follows )

If it seems that I am missing or very confused about the three methods I attempted for the big picture,
let me know :) . Again the one assumption I am making is  for method 2 ..that a valid sip URL can be set up in a PBX, and this is something that is programed with the PBX system.

QBZappy

Quote from: larrybob on August 20, 2012, 03:12:58 PM
Here is my question : For option 2, I need A valid SIP URL on the PBX.  Is this something that can be set up on most PBX systems?? ( If the answer is yes.. I'll work out the details...... if no then,I guess option 2 is not possible.  ( This should have been my question to start this thread).

The details related to the pbx
Ext@ddnsname(extip):port

100@larrybob.ddns.com:5060 (what ever port)

larrybob

Thanks  for all the help. I have the  google voice option working... I contacted the vendor of the PBx system, and option 2 sip calling into the the PBX is possible.  Might have to set things up as in option 3 if registration is needed for the incoming sip call. I was told to set up the full option 3 solution I would need to use a VPN network connection...

As of now just forwarding incoming calls through Google Voice seems to be working fine. I will set up a message on the remote obi 110 in the aa Press 1 to connect locally, press 22# to connect to the PBX in California. ( using the pbx incoming number as Number 2 speed dial)

Not an elegant solution for now.. but it is easy and it seems to be working.

Larry