News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Do other VOIP providers work better then GV?

Started by rlev, August 15, 2012, 06:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlev

I'm using Google Voice and an obi110.  Making and receiving calls works most of the time.  But 3 issues have me looking around for other options: 1) e911 2) the voice mail indicator seems constantly out of sync with GV, and 3) caller ID name lookup.  What provider do you use and how much should I expect to pay for this.

2nd question: viopo.com looks promising as a provider in that you can get 2 year contract for $130 for unlimited calling.  Anyone using them?  and do they work with the obi110

davefred99

Google Voice is not perfect but as far as I am concerned there call quality has been as good if not better than any other.They offer there service at no cost so is hard to be fault them if they do not offer every bell and whistle the others do.

I have used Voipo for my home for about a year now. My experience with then has been mixed. For the first few months it was fine but over time I have had a few problems with missed or dead air calls. To there credit they offer good support and are quick to respond. I spent about one hour on the line with them recently logging in remotely to fix my problems and there fix was to update my ata firmware and change my server to the west coast server. It has helped but is not 100%. I still get some studder or poor audio issues. One thing to not is that while the introductory 2 yr price is listed at $129 there is also a $36 tax and 911 fee per year. I believe on the promo they just charge you a total of $165 up front. You can use the OBI ata for there service but must first hook up there provided ata and connect to there server. Then you can log into there website and retrieve there BYOD credential to put in the OBI device setup. They seem to rout all BYOD devices to one server and I am not sure it is the same as there own devices use. I have not really tested out them much on my OBi as I am in the process of moving my stuff over to Anveo.
I also have an account with Callcentric on a separate OBi but mostly use them for 911 service. Most do it yourself Voip folks give Callcentric very high marks and I have never had any issues with them accept they are slightly more expensive than some of the others like VOIP.MS and ANVEO.

The great thing about using your own OBI device is you can try them for awhile and switch if you feel the need. i would wait to port any numbers into any provider until I had thoroughly tested them with a temporary number first as it take about 3 or so weeks to do a port but new numbers are instant.

Sorry if that got long but hope it helps.
Dave

Conniemadagain

I say spend the $130 and let us know !!!

Quote from: rlev on August 15, 2012, 06:08:55 PM
I'm using Google Voice and an obi110.  Making and receiving calls works most of the time.  But 3 issues have me looking around for other options: 1) e911 2) the voice mail indicator seems constantly out of sync with GV, and 3) caller ID name lookup.  What provider do you use and how much should I expect to pay for this.

2nd question: viopo.com looks promising as a provider in that you can get 2 year contract for $130 for unlimited calling.  Anyone using them?  and do they work with the obi110

rlev

Thanks Dave:

If it were just me I'd stick with GV (it works).  But there are others who want it to work as well and as our old $$$ company and with all the services.  If I could just get GV and obi to do the message indicator 100% I could probably get some acceptance.  As it is now I'm reminded often what a stupid move GV was (and badgered on when is it going to be fixed).

So, I'm looking for something solid and that does not cost a lot of money.
Sounds like Voipo is not as solid as it should be and a bit more money then advertized.
I looked at Anveo but was having a trouble figuring out there plan pricing and what you get for it.

P.S. CallCentric is expensive at $19/month  unlimited US ... I could probably go back to my old service for not much more.

Stewart

With GV alone, you can set it to send voicemail notifications, transcriptions and/or audio files, by SMS and/or email.  I find getting messages by email most convenient, especially when there are many that I don't want to hear, or I need to replay portions of a message that are not clear.

With Anveo alone, you could have a Value DID for $1/mo. (40 min./day free, then $0.015/min. thereafter), or an Office Unlimited DID for $4/mo.  Outbound domestic calls are $0.01/min.  There is also a $0.80/mo. charge for 911.  I've had no problems with Anveo's VM indication.

You could use a combination of GV and Anveo, forwarding GV calls to an Anveo DID, but using GV directly for outgoing.

rlev

Hi Stewart:

I get the emails for VM.  My wife is the one who insists that the VM indicator work correctly.

So for about $5 a month I could have Anveo for incoming/911 and GV for outgoing but my outgoing number will be different from my incoming one ... I'd also have to get Anveo VM to pick up before GV VM.  Hmmmm ... too bad I can't get GV to spoof a number for Anveo.

As far as the $0.01/min charge ... the phone is in constant use ... I suspect that those pennies will add up.

CoalMinerRetired

On the "voice mail indicator seems constantly out of sync with GV" issue. I had that issue when I first started using an Obi220 and GV.  I was missing the obvious until I read about this GV setting: http://www.obihai.com/googlevoiceFAQ.html#11.   Maybe you already saw it, but it's worth asking