News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Have to configure SP2 before using it in voice gateway?

Started by teryx, August 15, 2012, 07:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teryx

I have a few voice gateways set with the following access number:

vg1:
sp2(sip.callwithus.com:5060)

vg2:
sp2(tampa.voip.ms:5060)

However, I just found I had to config something (basically anything) for SP2 before I can use it for my voice gateways. Currently my SP2 is connecting to my Asterisk server and I can route calls to vg1/vg2 without any problem. If I drop the configuration for SP2 in Device Configuration page, then I will get an error message saying service is not available when I try to go through vg1/vg2.

Is there any reason behind this strange behavior? It seems to be a bug to me, since when I am trying to access vg1/vg2, it got nothing to do with my Asterisk. My theory is if I drop SP2 configuration, then SP2 became disabled and cannot be used by any voice gateways. This seems to be an unnecessary restriction. SP2 should be re-enabled when a voice gateway is trying to utilize it.

Stewart

If you simply turn off X_RegisterEnable for SP2 (and don't send any calls directly to SP2), then there will be no traffic to/from your Asterisk and the other settings for SP2 shouldn't cause any trouble.  If you want to remove them, e.g. because of privacy or security concerns, you can set ProxyServer to 127.0.0.1 (i.e. the OBi itself) and put meaningless strings in AuthUserName and AuthPassword.

teryx

I don't have any problem with extra traffic to my Asterisk server. The reason I found about this is I was trying to set up a new OBi110 for my friend, added all non-GV SIP providers as voice gateways and didn't set anything for SP2. Those voice gateways just refused to work and it took me hours to find out that I had to put something for SP2. The documentation didn't mention this at all...

ianobi